Mk2.5 hard top on Mk1 Eunos and the issue of side latches (Solved)

My model of MX-5 is: 1992 Eunos Roadster, green with tan interior

I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Hard Top side latches.

Hey fab people!
Just before xmas I purchased my very first car, a 1992 Eunos Roadster and I’ve been loving him! He came with a mk2.5 hard top with heated rear window (and the incorrect plug unfortunately :frowning_face: ).
However it is time I got to work on the vehicle and I’m starting with side latches. Which for some odd reason are not present. I asked the previous owner why they were not there and he did not know unfortunately.
So I’m looking for some advice, as I need to cut out holes to place the mounting brackets in my tan trim (I purchased a pair of used brackets on ebay) .
A: Must I remove the entire side panel?
B: Would that require removing the soft top?
C: Will I find the mounting holes under the panel?

My biggest worry is point C. I would hate having to tap holes in the shell so I’m checking with you guys first, since I can’t work on the car until I catch a clear or sunny day.
Will I find the mounting holes under the panel? If so I would then simply need to cut out a small oval in the trim and job done.

Any advice is appriciated. Thanks :sweat_smile:

Hi. Inside the panels are marks where to cut so removing the panel is recommended to get the best finish. Without removing them you risk making a mistake and replacing a panel may prove difficult or expensive.

You should find mounting holes in the bodywork (I did!)

Oh fantastic news! Thank you so much! Just have to wait for it to stop raining now. :blush:

1 Like

All done!

1 Like