MK2 Missfire

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK2 W Reg
  2. I’m based near: Herts
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Missfire Can I ask for some advice as I have run out of ideas?

I have a 2000 W Reg Mk2 145K miles

During lockdown I re oiled the K & N Typhoon air filter, I am not sure if this is coincidence but shortly after I started to get a slight hesitation/engine holding back at high revs.

I cleaned the MAF with the correct cleaner and all seemed good again.

when my car went in for its MOT, while being left to warm up for the emissions test the engine died. The mechanic checked for a spark and there was none (front spark plug). After a couple of minutes, it started fine and passed its MOT.

So now the fun began.

On my MX5 code reader it came up with faulty cam sensor, so I replaced it, the code disappeared.

Still had the same problem, when cold the engine will suddenly drop while idling and then pick up. When driving the car feels slightly flat, then it will kind of miss a beat, otherwise the power seems ok!

I have replaced (one at a time) all the usual suspects:

New plugs (Iridium)

leads

Crankshaft sensor

Coil packs (today)

No difference

So I think that leaves the MAF (which I have now cleaned several times) , Oxygen sensor and throttle position sensor.

Any advice on the next step would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked as to wether it could be a fuel problem and not electrical as such

Fair point, I changed the fuel filter about 5 years ago (20,000 miles)
It feels electrical as it a sudden cut out, I think it must be the MAF as I may have over oiled the K & N filter

Might be worth getting a cheap paper filter and cleaning the MAF, just to see if it makes the difference

Yes I think that is the best way forward, all the problems started after re oiling the filter.
I have just read that a duff MAF can throw up the fault code for the camshaft sensor, not sure how true this is but it does follow the train of events.
I will order a new filter and MAF, wish now I had just left the filter!

1 Like

Any update…I have a similar issue and I am going to order HT leads and spark plugs today?

1 Like

I bought a second hand OEM MAF of ebay, fitted it earlier today and all is now good!

I think that the excess oil (from re oiling the K&N filter) had baked onto the MAF, so the cleaning spray was not removing it.

I also noticed that when I unplugged my original MAF the engine ran better? apparently the engine goes into some sort of limp mode. Can I suggest unplugging your MAF with the engine running, if the engine starts to run smoother then its a faulty MAF. wish I had known this tip a few weeks ago. Good luck.

2 Likes

Good info, thanks for the update. :+1: