Mk2 won’t start

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK2
  2. I’m based near: Sheffield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: No battery Light on and won’t start but turns over fine,

Do you have spark
Do you have fuel

No spark no fuel, it’s done this before. When the battery light comes on when you turn the ignition on it starts fine but when it doesn’t come on it won’t start.

Some more info required to help…

Has the car stood for any length of time, battery new/old, charged up, battery connections tight?
Any oil leaks around the top of the engine, wet oily plugs can prevent firing but turns over?
Mk2 coil packs can fail too.

Been covered up over winter, new battery fully charged, no oil leaks. It’s really frustrating, it run great last summer, I’ve been starting it up regularly over winter but sometimes the red battery light didn’t light up and the car wouldn’t start.

Is it a UK spec car? If so, does the immobiliser light come on at all?

Just the airbag and brake lights come on UK spec

If that was one of my other cars, a classic Alfa Romeo, you’d go directly to the engine earth.

Sticky relay, dodgy connector, dodgy fuse connection???

I’d be looking at the PCM connectors next, looking for water damage, corroded pins. How old is the car? If it’s pre-facelift the charge warning light is controlled by the PCM.

The air bag and brake warning lights are fed from the same feed as the charge lamp so that’s probably OK.

Maybe worth running a fault code check on it.