MK3 front ARB nuts

hi all. 

I finally got around to fitting yellow dot arbs to my mk3 and although the rear nuts came off the bracket the front was less sucessfull. 

Now with 3 very rounded nuts on the front does anyone know what thread size I need to replace them? I can’t seem to find anything for the fronts online. 

Any help is appreciated. 

better of getting new drop links they are only a few quid from local factors 

ive got Drop links ready but it’s the nuts that’s hold this bit on that I need 

https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/anti-roll-bush-mounting-bracket-rear-models-p-3463.html

Cant seem to find info on them anywhere. 

https://www.mx5oc.co.uk/forum/yaf_postst43388_Drop-link-nut-thread-size-NC-1-8-2007.aspx

Did you Get the rounded nuts off? If so how?

I had the same and ground the stud off and drilled out. Never again

i still have one to shift. Seems like most of the original bolts underneath have a tendency to round off with corrosion.

I bought this little kit a while back to remove some bolts from my mk2. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-bolt-nut-remover-set-6-pcs/6083D?tc=NT8&ds_kid=92700022885054565&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_rl=1248184&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1247848&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2tX58KzD4AIV7b3tCh1dfAW-EAQYASABEgJnB_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Really easy to use and it pretty much just chews into the rusted nut and splits it 

Purchase as the link supplied.

M10, Metric Fine, 1.25 pitch http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_Metric_Fine__Nuts_and_Nylocs_31.html

Do not buy stainless steel nuts for this duty, they are dangerous!!!

Thanks. Just out of interest, why not stainless steel?

That’s great, haven’t seen these before. Also interested to know why not stainless fittings? 

They are too brittle and can corrode against a different metal.

Hi

Please can you advise of what length to buy, also whether fully threaded bolts are needed and finally are they the same size for both front and rear brackets?

Many thanks

I can confirm these are correct. I managed to fit them last week after breaking the nuts that had rusted on.

[/quote]

Hi

Please can you advise of what length to buy, also whether fully threaded bolts are needed and finally are they the same size for both front and rear brackets?

Many thanks

[/quote]

The bracket isn’t  held on with bolts. There are 2 threaded bits that are attached to the sub frame (no idea on the technical term) and there are some flared nuts which go on to them to hold the ARB bracket on. 

If you’re looking to do it i’d recommend regular blasting with penetrating oil as the threads are exposed to the elements. Mine were riddled with rust and crud and head to break the nuts to get them off. luckily you can get a socket, short extension and breaker in there if needed. 

Sorry your posting is less than clear.

Please upload a picture of what you are talking about and also please measure the diameter of the threaded parts, you will need a micrometer to do that and a thread guage to measure the thread pitch.

Suspension and brake bolts tend to be a fine thread pitch but there is more than one metric thread pitch.

To be honest if you cannot provide this info you need a garage to do it for you as they will have a selection of nuts and bolts and they do this every day.

Some times you need professional help, not a failure just how it is.

Hi

Many thanks

[/quote]

The bracket isn’t  held on with bolts. There are 2 threaded bits that are attached to the sub frame (no idea on the technical term) and there are some flared nuts which go on to them to hold the ARB bracket on. 

If you’re looking to do it i’d recommend regular blasting with penetrating oil as the threads are exposed to the elements. Mine were riddled with rust and crud and head to break the nuts to get them off. luckily you can get a socket, short extension and breaker in there if needed. 

[/quote]

Excellent my bad, I wrongly assumed the brackets were fastened with bolts and should have read the thread properly, thanks for clarifying.

Yes anything I do underneath the car is expected to be rusted solid so I plan to replace the fixings as I go.

I’ve tried to find the answers to my questions in earlier posts, but I’m still struggling.
Perhaps someone would be kind enough to help?

I’ve purchased yellow dot RX8 ARB’s to fit to my NC. I’ve ordered the bushes…

I would now like to make sure I’ve got the right bolts etc.
It looks like I should be ordering the following…

My first question is, what length?

The other questions are advice on drop links. What should I go for and what other fixings will I need?

Thank you in advance.

@MySport You don’t need bolts, there are studs sticking out of the subframe (as i was advised above)and if the nuts are in good shape you can reuse them, but to be on the safe side replacing them won’t hurt. From memory the nuts are m10 1.25 pitch.

Also remember to do some before and after testing on known corners, the improvement in handling is more pronounced than I expected.

Thanks for the info.
Out of curiosity, did you change your existing drop links when you changed the ARB’S, or did you keep the originals? Did this require any additional nuts ‘n’ bolts?

Yes I replaced the drop links which weren’t anything special, just standard replacements from ebay for £40, if I remember correctly they came with nuts fitted.

A couple of other tips for this job:

The Haynes manual says remove radiator brackets and tilt radiator forwards for clearance, but this isn’t necessary. Being careful not to damage the radiator you can manoeuvre out the front ARB and position the new one.

Also remember not to fully tighten the drop link nuts until the car is off the stands and settled on the ground.

Hope this helps.