Mk3 Rear Hardtop Connection Socket/Location

1. My model of MX-5 is: MK3
  2. I’m based near: Warwickshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Location of the Rear socket/wire connection.

So me and my dad yesterday fitted a New Hardtop to his Mx5 MK3.75. We managed to fit the hard top and plastic trims an clips according to the Instructions even if there were mostly in Japanese, However we cant locate/find the connection point/socket for the added wire to go from the car to the rear heated window connector on the Hardtop that we be fitted.

Can anyone share any pictures or give an info.

Thanks in Advance

Fit a new buzzer unit under off side dash I’m sure this will sort both your problems

Hey thanks for coming back to me, should there been a female connection socket behind the left seat ?? We could Not see anything. They sent us a new wire connector an then the existing soft top has a connector. My mk2.5 has both connections as I have a hardtop fitted and I never take it off, as I prefer the look of it. I wouldn’t know what a buzzer unit is.

Hi Wayne. Your soft top HRW will still be connected to the loom, IIRC , that needs disconnecting and use the provided new sub loom to reconnect to the hard top from the car loom. Its easy to follow from the HRW connection off the soft top rear window.

Barrie

Hey Barrie where is that located we found the soft top rear wire connection under a velcro fold near the window but couldn’t find where to the connection was to the car itself.

Thanks for the help

Should be in that area Wayne? Would normally be connected under that velcro flap. :thinking: Its a while since I had a separate hardtop on a 5, power roof these days :slightly_smiling_face:
Barrie

Yeh we found that but could find the connecting location behind the back left seat this is the sticking point. The Rf will be my next potential choice when my son has my mk3.

1 Like

If you’ve found the lead then just follow it, you’ll come to the plug eventually!

There should be a connector behind the seat this should run to heated rear window if fitted on soft top. Buzzer for lights behind drivers dash if you run it into dealer ask one of mechanics to show you it’s easy to change.

It is slightly different on the NC, your hardtop wire plugs into the car loom and then the car loom plugs into your hardtop wire. It’s a little confusing first time out but once you get it, it makes sense. If you’re still stuck tomorrow I’ll throw up some pics.

Hi try this.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjD783unofuAhUG9IUKHYGPBMEQFjAAegQIAhAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmx5oc.co.uk%2Fdownload%2Fnc-detachable-hardtop-fitting-instructions-pdf%2F&usg=AOvVaw1UTvcYLpcyBcHddws6yToM

Hello Rokgod

Thanks for getting back to me, would you mind throwing some pics up, as we don’t know where to start.

Thanks in Advance

Hey Ruberdub

Ill see if i can get this printed out an have a look at it.

Something looks so simple but leaves us scratching our heads haha

Thanks

Sure, I’m at work now but when I get home I’ll take a look and see what I can do to help.

I just googled this, any help? https://www.mx5life.com/forum/index.php/topic/16913-mk3-rear-heated-window-has-not-been-connected-how-do-i-connect-it/

Hey Rokgod

I did find this helpful is the wire connection that’s connected to the car itself we can’t seem to find its like it tucked away hidden somewhere Mx5 parts send you the Hard top with the addition loom connection or pigtail as I’ve seen some call it on here. The female socket the hard top is obvious, managed to disconnect the mohair hardtop as them pictures show. But still no luck its dark by the time we finish work atm so hard to see it, need natural day light.

Really appreciate all the help.