Modified NC special enough?

Mind you I have been out and playing with the big boys last weekend at Anglesey (M4/M5’s supercharged minis gt2 and gt3’s engine swapped s2000’s even modded clios)

The mx5 can be fun on track and you may think you are fast by managing100mph+ on a corner only to realise you aren’t :sweat_smile: when an M4 can zoom past you.

Even at 189bhp you will likely be almost the slowest cars on track but still 100% fun. Compared to those machines definitely cheaper to run and maintain too.

3 Likes

I was at Spa with my 140, and having proper fun. Bunch of guys wthere with exotica taking it very gingerly (I don’t get that, spend 200k on a hyper car and use it like an Austin Princess… What is the point?), but still having fun.

And there was a couple of blokes there with a citroen saxo, with every ounce of weight stripped out of it, no carpets or door liners, and skinny little tyres. Must have managed about 95 on the straight, but cornered like it was on rails. Very wobbly rails mind you. But they had the biggest grins on their faces.

On trackdays, laptimes don’t matter, only smiles.

8 Likes

Previous two posts by @McTrucky absolutely nail it. :grinning:

1 Like

I think you’ve addressed everything I was thinking, thank you.

I tracked my 140i a few times, I wish mine had bilsteins! Did your transmission start to wine when it was hot? Assuming it had the zf.

I’m currently riding a 200+bhp superbike on road and track so pretty much any car I drive now feels subdued. Having something fun and playful means a lot more to me now than any power figure.
I’ve spoken to a few owners in person and it’s hard to take some opinions seriously when they start with “it’s really quite fast”. I know it’s not, but that’s not why I’m looking at them. That being said, having a bit more poke to adjust the chassis is always nice which is why I’ve looked at the bbr 185/200.

3 Likes

My 140 was a peach. No gearbox whine, no problems at all. Did once throw a drive train error at Thruxton, but never came back after a restart.

Trackdays reset the on road mentality, for the better. I had ZX9, then a Fireblade as track bikes, but then realised that on the road I was never going to use more than 50% of the bike’s capabilities, and switched to a AfricaTwin 750 - which was a cracking bike, and I grinned at 50mph where as the Superbikes only had that effect north of 100. Even did a Cadwell park track day on the Africa Twin, dragging the sump guard while riding round the outside of richkids on their 996s.

When you learn to explore the limits on the track, be it bike or car, then going fast on the road becomes pointless. You know that you cant go fast enough to have that dancing on the edge feel without being both illegal and irresponsible, and even then you know that it would be much better fun on a track. So (in my experience) those who race or do trackdays become
safer and better road riders/drivers.

My MX5 occasionally gets a bit of a fruity drive, but very rarely (if ever) is it anywhere near licence losing territory. I can have fun easily pushing it and barely braking 60mph. The 140, or a Fireblade, would have to be held back to not be in triple digits in the same situation.

6 Likes

Agreed. Well written and sensible comments.

1 Like

I own a ‘fully’ modded NC: suspension, brakes, clutch, exhaust, engine, turbo…with 300bhp. And the short answer to the question is a resounding ‘no’. It’s worth it, and tuned mx5s are the best bang for performance out there.

However, the key is to be thoughtful about what mods you do. For instance, I’d recommend under-chassis bracing before any suspension mod, the former often makes the latter unnecessary (do some research as to why if that’s not obvious). Secondly, except for track use, a good set of pads is enough, no need for slotted, drilled discs (though they look damn good). Finally I’d recommend increasing the power last, and going straight for what suits you. Think about the 0-60 time you want instead of a chasing a specific bhp number. Whether supercharged, NA or turbo is a matter of taste, NA & supercharged are sweet and linear, allowing one to murder the corners, whereas turbo gives more torque and allows the car to literally explode forward (so little weight to move).
A word of warning, modded mx5s can be…exhilarating, in my case, I had to take extra coaching sessions to keep my emotions in check when driving my NC. It’s the most exciting car I’ve ever owned (and I own a 911 996TT).

7 Likes

i am also an Ex m140i owner.
Specced from new it was great car , engine and gearbox is hard to beat and the tuning potential is crazy. For me, it handled like a boat. i also modded mine, underbody brace, over body brace, lowered, etc watch any youtuber and its all been done before. For GT car its great , used to use mine for work 150miles each way sat in 8th gear. But a hot hatch it was not… Got bored and sold it for my current MX5
The mx5 isnt as fast but handles like a dream, a great swap. On a side note, i also ride a new 1000ninja so like you any car feels slow. The mx5 is when the wife and dog want to come along and the open air feeling is great. Would i spend £8000 modifying it… no… i would get my dream Cayman… but until the lottery win, i will spend what i see fit to make the car more my own.

2 Likes

Best thread I have seen on here. Well done… The replies are spot on and reassure me about this club!.. oh and the NC! Enjoy your car…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.