MOT query

I am about to do my first ever MOT, well at least in UK.

I have fitted the front fog lights, just to see how the look like. They are not exactly the same, one comes from the sport model, the other is more rounded, probably from an older model, similar to Citroens. But the seller said that both came from an MX-5.

I have connect them only the wiring inside the bumpers, without only switch in the car. Do you think that will cause any problem? Will they check if they work? I have fitted for appearance and then to decide it want to have them permanent.

What is your opinion?

Thank you in advance

Bill

Hi Bill

Relaxxxxx…front foglights are not a legal requirement and are not part of the MOT test:-)…for you anyway.

‘Front fog lamps (fitted to vehicles first used from 1st March 2018) and daytime running lamps (fitted as original equipment on or after 1st March 2018) are also now scheduled to be checked.’

hi bill 

just as rhino666 said it should not affect the mot, as the ruling says “front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018 must work” but if you look on the gov website you can find all the information you need.

regards Tristan.

Hi Rhino666, TristanG,

I think I have a new moto!! Relaxxx???

Well, I can’t remember but I am sure that I saw something in regards to the front fog lights and MOT. That’s why I was wondering.

So this is for vehicles before 2018, I see then. I will make my research, otherwise I will remove them, hopefully the weather will be fine next week.

Thank you guys for your help!

Bill

My reading is that your fog lights are OK, they don’t need to work.  The MoT requirement is only for 2018 cars and newer, none of which have yet needed an MoT…

John M,

Thank you for the clarification! The Mot test is tomorrow morning and I am bit anxious, not for the fog lights though. I now that my car is in excellent condition, however, the test here is very strict.

Bill

Hi Bill

‘The MOT jitters’

Never goes away for me since misspent youth getting rusty old Renaults through MOTs with filler and paper.

Always a worrying time particularly when the cars are 20+ years old.

My advice is to carefully check everything you reasonably can before the MOT, take the car for a reasonable run to the MOT station close to the time of the MOT.

Book the MOT as early as you can arrange which can be up to a calendar month before expiry to give you reasonable time to repair/sort out issues. Make sure your MOT station will do a free retest if it fails and will allow you to take away and do the work yourself.

We use ATS down here where an MOT through Mole Valley farmers is £25, free retest and 10 days to rectify + the guys at ATS like the MX5s.

Hope it goes well tomorrow - I’m sure luck will not come into it.     

Hi Rhino666

Apologies for my late response. Times flies, doesn’t it??

Thank you for your reply and for the detailed explanation behind the MOT Test.

It is something that I will definitely follow before my next MOT test!

Wilson, passed the test successfully and I can say that the people who check the car they were a bit surprised about the condition of the car! Always a bonus to hear that your 5 is in a really good condition!!

Bill