Mould on the soft top

I am a new owner and have just noticed some very bright green spots of mould on my soft top.  How is it best to clean and prevent it?  Thank you for any suggestions. Sally 

Hi Sally and welcome. What model do you have?

Inside or out? Vinyl or mohair?

Hello, I did not know that there were 2 types. It looks pretty standard to me so maybe it is vinyl…how can I tell? The mould is on the outside along the seams above the doors.

Vinyl looks like grained plastic on the outside, mohair looks like cloth material (a bit like canvas).
Renovo make good products for cleaning and preserving both types
Link to Renovo below
http://www.renovointernational.com/

After reading the reviews in Autocar on the various hood cleaner/proofer products, I tried the Autoglym products which came out best on test. Don’t bother with Autoglym as it did not remove mould spots from my Mk3 softop, despite three goes at it. I think the Renovo proofer and restorer could be tried next. If you find a product that does work, grateful if you would let us know about it. Good luck in resolving the problem.

Do you have a MK1, MK2 or MK3?

As I said in my last post. Renovo is good. My mohair hood was faded, had mould and spots of emulsion paint all over it. I used the cleaner, then the colour restorer and then the water proofer. The hood came up like new.

1 Like

My Mk3 hood was badly stained with mould. I tried various cleaners but the only think that worked was white vinegar. Got rid of almost all of it. Then I treated it wit Renovo followed by Fabsil sealer.