Mounting a fire extinguisher in an NB

Hope everyone is well :blush:
Thinking for quick access… as my boot latch is inside the car…

passenger footwell
behind passenger seat
against the windbreaker…

Thoughts ?

I can’t advise on a best location since I have an NA, but if you’re considering a fire extinguisher what about one of the automatic ones like VW aircooled engines use that go in the engine bay and auto-detonate if a fire breaks out.

I’d imagine it saves you from having to grab the extinguisher and empty it through the radiator rather than getting to a safe place and calling for help.

Of course, I don’t know the price of such things, only that it may have saved my parents campervan a number of years ago from engine fire damage if they’d had one fitted…

1 Like

The extinguisher has already been bought and was gifted to me today… ive placed in the windbreaker for now…
Will find a permanent location…

1 Like

Hi Amber. Depending on the overall dimensions my first choice would be mounted to the side wall of the transmission tunnel in the passenger footwell.
This obviously intrudes into the passenger area but it’s an easy reach for the driver.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

A fairly common mount I have seen is a ‘seat mount’ where the brackets is bolted to the front mounts of the passenger seat, something like this:

Note, it is cheaper from their eBay store :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m abit of a looser tbh… no friends n family. So no one gets in the car… so.i have no.issue with sacrificing footroom on passenger side… somewhere for ease…

That looks ideal tbh! Thabk you !

Happy I found this Sqiirl Mods site as their ND extinguisher mount is much cheaper than the other I had seen from Aurora Auto Design/Blackbird Fabworx:

1 Like

Hi Amber. Just remember you’ve got friends here… I’m more loner than loser, and my passenger seat is always unoccupied too!
Rob

2 Likes

I juat tend to keep myself to myself most of the time…
Appreciate it… :blush::blush: (friend comment)

1 Like

Hi Amber. One of the main benefits of your current lifestyle is that you can enjoy your car without compromise.
If you wish to drop the top and go for a blast you can without needing to ask anyone’s permission. Some might consider it akin to freedom. :wink:
Similar to riding a monoposto motorbike. No pillion to unbalance your cornering :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hope you get your extinguisher sorted. Keep us in the loop and let us know what you do,
Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Found another option while looking for other bits and pieces too:

1 Like

That reminds me of the first time I went pillion, and the bikes owner constantly telling me to “lean with him”! All I remember is suffering horrendous cramping on the way to a bike meet in Oxfordshire…! Must be more comfortable rides for a mid-50’s pillion passenger…! :rofl:
Rob

Yes there is.an upside… but im at that stage… where even if I was with anyone they couldn’t say otherwise…
If I wanna go out no one can stop me ! :joy:

2 Likes

Got to have your own life and independence… and no one needs a control-freak in their life…!
Rob

I was fourteen and knew even less than nothing about bikes. Big brother of a friend had a Vincent V-twin.

He offered me a pillion ride round the block, said ‘Just sit straight, hand grips beside the seat, lean with the bike on the corners, and I’ll start off in second so not too much torque.’

So he shot off leaving me dropped on the drive with a face full of gravel, everyone had a good laugh.

Eventually, so did I. What else could I do?

1 Like

Hi Ambersize - as shown in your picture your fire extinguisher will probably fly through the windscreen in any sort of serious deceleration. If the one you have is very small / light (as it looks in the pic) I’d probably just put it in the glovebox.

For anything bigger the MUK regs are helpful as they provide instructions on how to suitably restrain any extinguisher… they’re not the sort of thing you’d want flying around in a crash.

… mountings must be able to withstand a deceleration of 25g. Furthermore, only quick-release metal fastenings (two minimum), with metal straps, are accepted. Anti-torpedo tabs are required

In my sprint car I used the GCF bracket here

And the extinguisher here, which has a suitable cage and straps

1.75 KG is too small for racing but fine for sprinting / road use. TBH I’m not sure you need one for road use.

2 Likes

Hiya. I’ve since moved it from that location and it’s just sitting in the passenger footwell till I get a suitable bracket… it won’t fit I the glove box. Too big.
As regards for road use… last week I was in the work van with my boss going down the motorway. Newish van… 6years old ?
And the rear tyre / caliper caught fire… being in that vehicle at 70mph on fire scared me to death as we did not have a fire extinguisher…
Fast forward. This is why I will now have one in my car…

1 Like

Ah! And thinking about it a tractor in the next village caught fire on Sunday and had two fire engines helping out… So agreed - it’s a good idea:)

1 Like

Better to be safe… considering the car is now 20years old…