MX-5 ND - Which is most popular - RF or Soft Top?

Brave, but one way of adjusting the gap between the hoop covers and the front edge of the roof:)

1 Like

I’ve seen a you tube video of a guy opening and closing as ND ST at 45mph on cruise control. No drama what so ever, I sure would not try it tho! As much as roof damage I’d be worried about wandering out of my lane.

2 Likes

Could probably get nicked for driving without due care and attention!

2 Likes

I thought of that too, in the right spot with a bit of judgement I’d do it but I’m not gonna do it anywhere silly.

Not me! Too much to lose - hood, licence, life!

1 Like

I have an RF simply because I bought it to go to work every day.

I’d not long left a job that kept me working away from home and didn’t need a big, practical car for carting stuff long distances up and down the M6 so I decided an impractical little sports car was ideal for the commute, and much more fun for the odd trip out into the country.

3 Likes

RF for Me With Key fob smart Roof Controller

…ideally one of each, the soft top is best for roof down fine weather motoring, the RF looks like the dogs dangley bits and would be better for when the weather is c r a p …

I test drove the RF and loved it, easily a better looking car (IMHO), but in the end we went soft top as it’s our “fun” car and so far 99% of the time the roof is down…

Yep, I second that. Mine is the soft top and wouldn’t want it any other way for complete roof down fun. But the RF is a stunning shape, beautifully proportioned. I would like one of each too, harder question to answer though would be which one to get in soul red :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Soft top for me. If I had silly money I’d have another soul red with the RF just to keep the roof up as I love how it looks. But I love the soft top and the speed of using it. Being able to put the roof up and down at 40 mph is very cool.

RF everytime, it is the best of both worlds. Open air motoring and coupe cruising, whichever you feel like on the day. :grinning:

2 Likes

Part ex’ch my 3yr old 1.5 Icon for a new 1.5 RF sometime ago. I’m now back with a new 1.5 SE-L rag top.
Could’nt get used to the enclosed feeling with the two pillars on the RF. Guess this was because I had always had rag tops going back to Sprites and Midgets in my youth.
Although the RF had considerable more equipment than either the Icon or SE-L, it left me with that nagging feeling that I had made a “buying mistake”. So I decided to bite the bullet and revert back to a ragtop.
Love it! probably the best MX5 I have owned and I have had a few and currently getting 47.4 to the gallon, if the computer is to be believed.
It did’nt help with the car being black, which I found very hard to keep clean. Many people will disagree with that, but each to their own.
The RF is a quality car, just not for me. “Buyer’s choice”.
PS: also being able to have the roof down in 2 secs as opposed to 13 secs is also a factor for me.

1 Like

Never had an Mx5 so it had to be soft top. RF is smart and more secure etc, but for me a proper Mx5 has a rag top like all the others.

1 Like

I think Mazda made a big mistake with the RF, although their apparent sales figures say otherwise.

I just wish the rag top on my 2.0L Sport Tech didn’t rattle and creak as much as it does!

I drive with the top down on my soft top ND as much as possible. I was loaned an RF whilst mine was in for a service and with the top “down” I found the buffeting awful. With the top up it was an improvement over mine. If I drove with the top up most of the time or was concerned about security I might consider an RF but I prefer the look of a top down soft top to the RF.

1 Like

I bought Artic soft top then loved the look of RF then got bored because I missed my mk1 so went searching and now back I seat of mk1 now happy lol personal choice

Processing: A5A88C92-7CA6-4A66-A3A6-9AEBB350F9B4.jpeg…
Processing: BE52FFB5-9199-4A00-833B-D4C016D017B4.jpeg…
Processing: D211758E-AFC8-4791-BCE1-9DFE3BFB0B58.jpeg…
Processing: 414F136F-48D8-45EF-9D52-F33AB09315F2.jpeg…Uploading: 32EF894E-1297-4D74-9148-8029643A6A19.jpeg…
Processing: A2B4CFDA-6023-4632-8538-C1AA28091B27.jpeg…
Processing: 3B83732F-5CE7-44F3-897B-194023C2065D.jpeg…
Processing: C408A010-42E2-40C5-A5E5-03424C6E028D.jpeg…
Processing: B7DB0F3A-DFA0-4626-AA0E-10EB6929588D.jpeg…

You need to go back to the dealer, it shouldn’t make any noise.

America loves the RF. I drive top down 90% of the time. It’s what makes it special to me.
The insane speed at which you can do it plus the handling is why I’m here.

Edit. I mean the insane speed at which the top goes up or down whilst driving.

1 Like

Soft top for me

1 Like