MX-5 Sport Tech Nav Roadster

Can someone please advise as the car battery is completely flat. How can I boost start the engine without the alarm immobiliser kicking in?

Thank you.

If it is completely flat, like mine was last week, the charger kept cutting out as it could not recognise it was connected.
I connected it with jump leads to a spare battery for about 5 mins. Could lock and unlock the car with the fob. It boosted it just enough for the trickle charger to recognise it and after an overnight charge all was good.
Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Try what Binty says, but if you’ve let it go completely flat, the battery might be dead, and you’ll need a new one.
If the car sits a lot, get a battery maintenance charger like a Ctek or similar to keep it charged.

1 Like

Thank you both for your replies.

I think you’ll be better off with a new battery. If it’s that flat the chances are the sulphation will be too great. For peace of mind get a new one and a battery tender such as a CTEK if you’re going to let it sit unused.

1 Like

Welcome! And sorry to hear of your battery woes. As above, recommend CTEK charger. Mine has served me well during lockdown and limited car use.

As said, if a battery has been flat for any length of time, it will be damaged at best, so probably time for a new battery.
If you have a fob that allows it, switching off the alarm proximity sensor will slow down the rate of discharge.
On my fob it is bottom right, next to the boot button.

1 Like

The bottom right button of the NC key fob turns off the interior sensors as previously mentioned…

2 Likes

Does anyone know what the discharge current is with the interior monitoring on and off? I used an ammeter on mine but the bonnet was open and the alarm wouldn’t arm properly. When I get a chance I’ll try again jamming something in to make it look as if the bonnet is shut.