MX-5e (electric MX-5 NA)

Yes, this is what we installed on my son’s Eunos Roadster. I will upgrade to these but have no need to do it yet. I also had these on my Fisher Fury R1 :sunglasses:

3 Likes

The fun part starts now as we rebuild the front end and fit all the EV parts and start wiring it all up again from scratch. We are building custom relay and fuse boxes. Some bits have fixed locations and can’t be moved, like the iBooster, pop-up headlights, etc.

3 Likes

I love the denki kanji

1 Like

In the MX-5e we can get away with a much smaller 12V battery as we have a lot more control over the 12V system loads and there is no ICE to crank over. So we are using this motorcycle battery, which weighs less than the redundant wiring and brackets we have removed from the engine bay.

This much smaller battery is easy to locate in the engine bay, so we can use much short lengths of high current wiring to various components, saving even more weight.

We can also use clever bits of hardware like this 3-way ANL fuse block to simplify the wiring and save even more weight. This replaces the quite large fuse box that is found in the MX-5/Eunos engine bay.

1 Like

Finalising the cooling system and have ordered the last few parts. We are using a small radiator (634mm x 260mm x 65mm) and header tank as an EV requires much less cooling than an ICE car. It means we can save a lot more weight too :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think that Kanji is 雷 - かみなり kaminari, いかずち ikazuchi, いかづち ikaduchi, らい rai: lightning, thunder, thunderbolt; god of thunder, god of lightning; anger, fit of anger

I think the den in denki has a tail - 電 meaning electricity - 電気
These are also denki - 電機. electrical machinery 電球.light bulb 電器 electrical goods 電話 telephone call - electric talk!

Ofiaich

Yes, Kaminari is the name of the car.

2 Likes

As we completely rewire the car, we are designing and 3D printing custom switch mounts that replace the blanks to the right of the steering wheel. These are used for the new features such as the pedestrian warning system and the winking pop-up headlights.

3 Likes

The use of custom switch mounts allows us to fit more switches (both momentary and latching). These are be the fog light switch (yellow) and pedestrian warning system (green).

This is what they look like mounted in the dash holes.

They hole shown will have the main light switch and the fog light switch on the right will be replaced with two momentary switches to wink the pop-up headlights independently :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Some expensive Buzzweld WAR underseal to finish off the underside of the MX-5e. We used the Buzzweld reinforced primer and were really impressed with it.

1 Like

Making huge progress porting the Driver Control Unit (DCU) to a single ESP32 processor. This is great because it can ‘deep sleep’ when the ignition is off and is using less than 2mA in this standby mode.

When the ignition is on it is doing driver detection using BLE and then personalising the EV interior with addressable RGB LEDs to do the ambient lighting. It communicates via Wi-Fi, has GPS, a 3-axis accelerometer, data logging, monitors all the temperature sensors, 12V battery level, etc.

The DCU uses another cool bit of electronics we have developed to intelligently control the speed of the Tesla pump in the cooling system. We have developed a custom speed controller for this.

thumb

4 Likes

So this is how I’m currently implementing the DCU for our MX-5e. It is about 85% complete and tested.

To get the great driver user experience we want in our MX-5e and the OSSEV, I have developed my own Driver Control Unit (DCU) which will be open-sourced. This features two ESP32 processors to meet my ultra-low power requirements and also support all of the required features. This will be turned into a custom PCB design and also open-sourced. It’s described in a lot of detail on the OSSEV website for those that are interested.

1 Like

DHL delivered this today :sunglasses: It’s the fixed gear 1.8:1 reduction box that bolts to the Nissan Leaf motor and reduces the speed down to something that works better with the MX-5 differential, giving a top speed of about 109mph and better acceleration than any MX-5 I’ve ever been in :grinning:

It is the single most expensive part of the MX-5e project but, it’s beautifully made and is an essential part of the design. It is from a company in the USA called Inductive Autoworks.

4 Likes

Some better photos of the reduction gearbox, which weighs 17.5kg …

3 Likes

3D design for the speedometer pickup ring. This is being laser cut from 5mm steel and drives the speedo and mileometer.

PCB design for our two-channel Tesla water pump speed controller is complete and has been sent off to mqanufacturing.

2 Likes

Zunsport are building me a custom stainless-steel grille for the MX-5e in black, without their logo/badge. The current plan is to mount the number plate on this grille, so I don’t need the badge in the way.

2 Likes

We are ditching the chunky rubber mounts that come with the Tesla water pumps. They weigh 142g each. The plan is to use these rubber-lined stainless-steel p-clips instead, which weigh just 32g each. We might use two per pump, to lock the orientation. It all counts, when you want to end up with a lighter EV than the ICE car we started with!

I used a similar approach in my Fisher Fury R1 and they were 100% reliable, even in the super harsh environment that is a Yamama R1 engine doing clutchless upshifts at 11,000rpm :sunglasses:

1 Like

We managed to modify the MX-5 pedal box to fit the Tesla iBooster bolt pattern by removing the welded spacers and relocating them. This is going to save us a chunk of time and effort. The pedal box is rusty but it will be cleaned up, strengthened in a few places and then powder coated.

All old MX-5’s are rusty, even on the inside. Anyone that claims they have one that isn’t, just hasn’t stripped it down enough yet :rofl:

7 Likes

Those Tesla water pumps look identical to the VAG one I have on my Westfield. I’ve even mounted it in exactly the same way - can confirm it stands up to 13500rpm and lots of trackday kerb-bashing!

Loving the updates btw, thanks for keeping them coming.

2 Likes

I have a Zunsport grille on my ND and thought it might look better without the badge. That was until I realised how solidly it was attached. Their products might look like a fine mesh grille but they are as strong and solid as an RSJ.

2 Likes