PDQ's MX5 MK3 NC 2.0 DIY Turbo Conversion

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2007 NC 2.0 RHD Manual 6spd
  2. I’m based near: Kent, England
  3. I was looking for technical help or recommendations on: components for the DIY conversion.

So having had a great year of track days I have decided to put together a DIY turbo conversion for my MX5 NC. This is it completed below:

The PDQ Component List:
If anyone wants a full ‘how to 'ish guide’ I have written one with all the pics. Just contact me (pdq.mx5@gmail.com) if you will want a copy its free with no warranty or liability accepted :slight_smile: It looks like this and includes a full detailed shopping list including links to where I bought things, including a cost breakdown. - I get no money from this just info for you for free.

CONVERSION HANDS-ON CAR TIME TRACKER - Total: 30hrs
This time has been spent working on my driveway on axles stands and learning as I go. If I had to do this again, and had the parts ready then it’s doable over a weekend for sure. The key is having the right parts and this thread is being kept up to date with my progress.

>Note: Original plan was a single weekend install. However, due to getting COVID & weather I am just going to do bits on it when I can and record the hours taken. It’s in my driveway and not weather protected

7 Likes

Weekend???
Must be one efficient worker…

1 Like

Might have a big S on his undercrackers !!! :laughing:

1 Like

Be fair, he has two months of prep ahead of the power burst, all ducks lined up in a row.
If you watch Wheeler Dealers or Car Rescue, you’ve seen it’s possible.
:grinning:

3 Likes

I have done it over a weekend on other non turbo cars and completed many engine swaps in the past etc.

The ecu mapping won’t be done admittedly but I don’t see why I won’t have it started and idling.

Edit: Clutch will be done in advance……

4 Likes

Interested to follow, as the turbos or supercharger packages are all 5k plus. Must be a cheaper diy option

I think the choice of turbo, ECU and mapper will be the variables in the list - I think the other parts are pretty much a defined cost.

My aim is 4K (not including the clutch)

1 Like

Injectors purchased Deatschwerks 550cc new from a friend in Germany.

these were not used in the end and resold. Other injectors have been purchased later in this thread.
I actually didnt use the 2nd set either (RX8 450cc) because I couldnt be bothered to mess around with the NC injector wiring plugs. So orders Flow Force 640cc Direct Fir from Bofi racing.

You need a spreadsheet with the parts all listed :slight_smile: OK you don’t really but the rest of us do so we can borrow your list and see what’s involved :slight_smile:

4 Likes

ECU Confirmed as the NC version of the ME442 with an adapter harness. Ready to go :slight_smile:

1 Like

This weeks task is to work out the oil drain from the turbo back into the sump.

Has anyone any suggestions for the NC?

I found 3 possible options. Option 1 Use an Adapter into the OEM sump plug location like Fab9 do. Option 2 drill a hole in the sump a few cm above the standard sump plug location like BBR do. Option 3 drill a hole in the block and drain into that just below the 2.0L stamping on the block.

I went with Option 1 above

I see BOFI racing now have an NC they are going to turbo as a YouTube series.

Be interesting to see what issues they uncover that I can try and learn from.

I contacted Bofi but it seems my conversion will be finished before they get into theirs. Maybe this thread will help them instead.

06.02.22 I wont be finished before them at this rate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Parts arrived….manifold & downpipe.

2 Likes

Turbo arrived has arrived:

2 Likes

Seems it’s really hard to find in depth conversion guides for the NC…. Will document the install process when I have cobbled together all the parts.

This was useful: DIY Turbo Build: My Journey - MX-5 Miata Forum

So it seems he drilled and tapped the sump for the oil drain - I suspected as much but wasn’t sure. I am hoping I can get away with one of these kind of things instead, ideally replace the sump plug with one but then I wasn’t sure the turbo would actually drain properly into it?

I did not buy this or use it in the end.

2 Likes

Cheers great thread

I found another helpful blog post :

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=678241

Nice box arrived from Motorsport Electronics today with the updated ME442 for the NC and the NC specific harness adapter.

1 Like

Turbo Oil Feed

I have been thinking about this and it seems the best option is to get an Oil Pressure switch adapter with the additional port.

Ideally something that allows the T-piece section to be mounted up where I can get to it to monitor leaks etc

Then run the turbo oil feed from that. So now I need to work out what thread etc that adapter needs to be and how long the turbo feed line needs to be. Any info welcome.

Update: 1/4" x 18 NPTF

1 Like

Today the adapter arrived that goes between the stock oil pressure sensor and the block.

I have now ordered a 90cm braided hose to connect to that adapter and bring oil up to the turbo.

I didn’t use this hose in the end. I bought a AN4 to AN4 100cm hose and used an AN4 to 1/8NPT 90deg adapter to connect to the Oil Pressure switch adapter. This was because the first hose leaked and this seemed a better solution.