MX5 Recaro Wheels

Brand new to this forum and first MX5. 

Car is 3 years old and out of warranty. Only 9200 miles and in really good condition apart from lacquer peeling off all 4 wheels which are the diamond cut alloys with MX5 logo’s. Looks like they are matt grey / silver finish with gloss lacquer. There is no damage to the wheels other than the lacquer peeling Have looked around the web and it seems it is not uncommon for the lacquer to go, due to the diamond cut and people being over zealous with power hoses/chemicals etc. I have  spoken to someone in the wheel trade and their opinion is that the wheels may already have been refurbed …So question is.

Should I pay the expense of getting the diamond cut again and risk the same issue down the line or simply get the wheels all done in grey with the logo’s etc? 

The car will not be a garage queen but it will also not be a track slag. 

I intend to keep the car for 2 - 3 years doing circa 4000 miles per annumn.

I know the resale value will be affected by the wheels not being 100% but will this be so great when the car is 5 or 6 years old?

Opinions welcomed with open arms.

Martin 

Diamond cut wheels are renowned for this fault.

I’ve suffered on two different marques over the last 3 cars, so you’re not alone.

You could get them repaired I guess, but i’d be worried that the same will occur.

On both my previous marques which suffered, both manufacturers were fitting refurbished wheels and they weren’t lasting more than a winter before the problem re-occured.

An alternative would be to have them powder coated, this would be harder wearing and more resiliant to errosion, it’s also possible to have mixed colours to mimic what you have now.

I think if I were personally to go down the refurb route, I’d opt for powder coating, with mixed colours.

I’ve no idea how much mixed colours would cost, but as an example, I recently paid £35 per wheel for a glossy silver powder coat on my 17" NC.

I know of another Recaro owner who had two wheels replaced under warranty due to peeling lacquer when the car was only around 18 months old. Not due to kerbing either. Although it is out of warranty they should still be expected to last longer than that. It will cost you absolutely nothing to point this out to a Mazda dealer. They will talk to Mazda who will probably offer a contribution towards replacements. I’m guessing the car is only 3 years and a few months old in which case the contribution may even be 100%. Be careful if you are ordering replacements. There is an optional wheel offered by Mazda which is very similar to the Recaro but with a slightly different finish. Make sure you get the correct ones. Go and be nice first, if they say they can do nothing get angry, if they still do nothing go through the same procedure at another deal.

Thanks for reply. Going to go down the powder coat route. Now just have to choose between Gloss Gunmetal grey or piano black???

Is it not worth trying to get free replacements? All you have to do is ask. Nothing to lose.

Am speaking to Mazda and the garage I bought the car from re options. Depending on how those discussions go…who will do what and for how much, if not free, will determine outcome. Never been a huge fan of diamond cut wheels. Can look really good but they are so delicate…will post up final decision and picture for fun…

I have a ND Recaro and have the same problem with three of my wheels. No kerbing harsh chemicals etc. They are to be replaced on warranty but it is now the third month after and they are having difficulty finding them. Not good or professional at all

Same here, nearly 4 years old and just had all 4 replaced which are the same part code that came with the car, I had to pay 20% towards the cost which I thought was very fair. 

Strange how some manufactures of diamond cut alloys peel the lacquer. I know they say its the salt on UK roads but i have had a Grand Vitara from new and sold at six years old and now the new shape Vitara which is nearly four years old both with diamond cut alloys and both perfect on both cars.