Mx5 rf 1.5 or 2.0

Hi all looking to buy an rf , do you need to buy the 2.0 because of the extra weight or is the 1.5 ok , also talk of gear box problems on early cars/ trouble selecting 1st and second when cold , does this effect the 2.0 and the 1.5 or just the 2.0 ? How can you tell what cars are effected .Thanks

Hi Coolmint. To my knowledge the 1.5 has no gearbox issues… Regarding the 2.0L, I’d get the ND2 (184) because it has a little less torque which is more gearbox friendly! Hope that helps.
Is personal choice whether to get a 1.5 or 2.0 as they are both brilliant…! :slight_smile:

Rob

1 Like

Hi
I’ve got the 2.0L and I can’t fault it … there’s enough power to get you out of a tight spot and it’s a lovely smooth car to drive ,but most of all it’s fun :+1:

I have the 2 litre and it is a delight to drive. Being old fashioned I always prefer the bigger engine when given a choice.

1 Like

I have a 2.0 and have to say it pulls like a train, its a 2017 and really don’t notice any gearbox issues
Handles like a train also

Depends what you are using it for?
Is it just a daily driver, or just a pleasure cruiser, or for track days?
There have been about 5 gearbox revisions, the earliest have been more troublesome, so buy the youngest car you can with a warranty.

Thanks Glosrich, probably daily driver , does the gear box issues only relate to the 2.0 ? 1.5 has no issues ?

Remember the 2.0 cars have 17” wheels , bilstien dampers and an lsd. A 1.5 will have 16” wheels no lsd, and standard dampers. AS WELL as the smaller engine. Even if you don’t use the power the car will feel a bit different. I went for a 1.5 and don’t regret it… suits me more.

Seems to affect 2.0 more, probably the extra power.
Have a read of this:

As with all these things, cars have issues, this is not a widespread problem, just test drive your prospective car as long as possible and buy a later model after a few of the revisions were made i.e. 2018 onwards.