MX5 Sport Tech springs

Not sure what you are talking about here as it is the shock absorbers that are Bilsteins which are uprated and not the springs. The springs on the Sport Tech are the same as the springs on the non Sport Tech models as far as I am aware. The upgraded springs (lowering springs) that most people fit are manufactured by Eibach or other manufacturers.

Regardless, even if springs are upgraded it does not mean that the material used is necessarily different, improved or less susceptible to stress corrosion cracking. They are just stiffer springs with different coil pitches and overall lengths. Cracks can be present, that without removal of the springs and using time consuming and expensive crack detection techniques would be impossible for an MOT tester to detect. Also spring failures are not seen as the same sort of safety hazard as other potential part failures inspected during an MOT. Springs do fail due to corrosion and fatigue and their life can vary greatly. I have had to replace springs on a few of the cars that I have owned. I think suggesting the dealer knew that the springs were about to fail and selling the car knowing as such is being a bit hard on them. It’s an old car and these things happen on old cars. The dealer may have replaced them as a good will gesture but they wouldn’t have been obliged to as at that age it would fairly be seen as wear and tear not faulty design, materials or maintenance. A dealer is not going to replace springs because they are a bit rusty. They also would have no idea as to the abuse the springs might have been put through by the previous owner such as driving at speed over kerbs or crashing through pot holes.

1 Like

It is nothing to do with goodwill. The CRA does apply to used cars. In the first 30 days, the consumer has an automatic right of rejection if a fault occurs that wasn’t present at the time of sale. From 30 days to 6 months, the consumer has aright to repair or replacement. if a repair is not of satisfactory quality, the consumer still has a right of rejection.

Aftermarket parts are cheaper for a reason. Either it’s inferior materials or cost cutting in the manufacturing process.

At bit of a loss here. Did you have the springs replaced, by whom and who paid? I assume you did have them replaced as it happened a number of years ago.

Where does the aftermarket parts come in?

Aftermarket parts are cheaper because they have competition on price from other aftermarket vendors. Original Mazda parts are expensive because that’s the price you pay with no other competition in the original spec.
Some aftermarket parts are actually superior in design and or materials as they are often produced long after the car production finished and benefit from improved materials, designs and processes.

2 Likes

I was under the impression that new cars had a warranty which means the car can be rejected after the supplying dealer has had chance to fix it, but for second hand cars, it was a different story. Basically if you can prove that a car had a fault that was not mentioned when sold, then you can go back to them, but if the fault happens after you have driven the car away, then you are on your own. I had this with a Honda Jazz auto I bought for my son just over a year ago. After 3 months the gearbox failed, but not having taken up an extended warranty, I looked into it and could not go back to the seller (who was a dealer).

If you buy a car from a private seller, it is always sold as seen and you can not go back, unless the seller makes a false statement when asked a direct question. With holding information is not sufficient. Caveat Emptor and all that…

Not so Snelly. The law changed in 2015. It does apply to used cars from dealers. Take a look at which for example. The courts have upheld the right of rejection. The text is very clear. There is no scope for offsetting charges or charges for use and there is no obligation to accept repair or replacement. It’s different between 30 days and 6 months and different again after 6 months.

This could be useful for some My new or used car has a problem, what can I do? (which.co.uk)) worth a read and may help to clear the fog a little.
:heart:

2 Likes

thanks guys…

DuratecNC: I am not asking for advice. I am asking has anybody on here has personally had a spring break on an MX5 Sport Tech, or even know someone that has.

A friend of mine successfully rejected her brand new Ford Edge. The garage/Ford were given several chances to fix it and failed. It took a fight but she got her money back. This was 2018/19.