MX5ND2 2 litre - 3rd annual service and first MOT

1. My model of MX-5 is a 2018 ND2 2.0 SportNav+
  2. I’m based near Mansfield in Nottinghamshire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on 3rd annual service and first MOT.
    I’ve got a main dealer just down the road from me, but also a good recommended independent.
    Would you use the main dealer? (and pay the price) or use the independent sourcing what’s needed from Mazda? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Hi, as this is the last service before the warranty runs out, I would go to the main dealer and get them to do a thorough check over before the cars gets to be 3 years old, ie before the warranty expires. If there are any “warranty” issues, you can get them done at Mazdas expense.

After that, I would probably use the independent, but it depends on the cost difference. If not that much and if the main dealer has given good service, I would continue to use them.

2 Likes

We have a similar age ND2 and are taking it to a main dealer just so that any warranty issues are dealt with.
Will probably stick with them for a few more years afterwards as with a different brand of car we got a fault repaired a couple of years out of warranty at the manufacturers expense. This was a ‘good will’ gesture but they wanted to know that it had always been dealer serviced before telling us that they would pick up the cost.

3 Likes

For me, when I’m looking for a used car if it has full dealer service history it’s a plus point.

2 Likes

Main dealer services are a cursory look around for items they can get you to spend on , fluid,filter changes if due . No preventative maintenance is ever done and you would need to report any warranty issues for them to investigate. They very rarely remove wheels so they end up stuck on and need hammering off if you get a puncture . Find a good independent

2 Likes

Good points. I took my NISMO in for its first service in May '18 and afterwards looked in the engine bay. The dipstick was half out, bent/trapped under the engine/spark plug cover. A neighbour had to help me get it out. I’d reported before hand that the coolant was a good bit below the top line, but wasn’t losing any and it’s up to them if they wanted to replenish it. They filled it almost to the brim of the entire coolant container, not just the ‘FULL’ line minus about half an inch!
I took photos and upload them to the dealership and in fairness, the service manger said it was disgusting and acted.

1. Not sure if this service was a ‘plus point’ that the car went to a main dealer, as another poster mentioned
  2. One of the reasons why I don’t take out particular dealership service plans. Vote with your feet.
2 Likes

As with independents, it seems that Main Dealers are hit and miss. You get good ones and you get terrible ones. If you have a good one and they are reasonable on price, I would stick with them. Its a shame that the actual manufacturer does not do better auditing of their dealers, as they would have to meet a minimum service level, but it seems that this does not happen regularly.

I know when I had a Porsche that the dealer got audited regularly but always gave excellent service, often going above and beyond, but they were incredibly expensive.

3 Likes

To which ‘couldn’t reproduce it’ is often the response.

1 Like

Some main dealer schedules are also rubbish , they try to lengthen oil changes out to 18k sometimes more , the only thing they manage to lengthen is the timing chain

3 Likes

Would get the last warranty service done at Mazda.
As others have said last chance for any warrantable work and recalls, software updates etc.
However shop around as even dealer service prices vary.
Also worth getting the gearbox oil changed at this point. For your info my dealer charged an extra £90 for this.
I know some will baulk at this, well it’s £60 worth of oil, 3 litres almost, and the rest labour and vat.

Hi G,
I think the gearbox capacity is 2 litres, the differential is .6 of a litre so may be nearly 3 litres is the combined number you have put in your post.
For those looking at this post just be aware that they use different oils so don’t go buying 3 litres of ‘gearbox oil’.
:heart:

1 Like

Would it really need a diff and gearbox oil change at less than 10k on the clock?! Gearbox is fine, gear changes smooth, though I do agree, to a point on preventative maintenance…

Rob

1 Like

I would agree that there are bad main dealers. However I’ve found many used cars (and bikes) are for sale (particularly at used car or bike dealers) where there is no history of service at all. Even when the owner has passed on all their receipts, old tax discs etc. At least if it’s main dealer serviced there is some data available to prove history.

My NC had no data passed on with it, only the services done at Mazda dealers is recorded.
I wouldn’t have bought it other than with very low mileage and on line MOT history to verify the low mileage and it’s outstanding condition.

1 Like

It is a dealer thing. The place go to think I’m a loon that I want to change the gearbox before schedule. I ask for a particular technician to do the servicing each year and although they are fine with that, I get the impression they think I’m off my head. The thing is, enthusiasts are, what, 1% max of car users, and i get the impression they dealership staff just ain’t really into cars themselves, so if you’re a bit intense and ask for this and that, as they probably don’t get that much (most people you see giving their car for a service are handing them the keys while conducting a mobile convo in the other hand), plus if they’re not enthusiasts themselves, they think you’re off your head. At lease that’s how it seems to me, anyway.

don’t forget not using a main authorised dealer will mean you lose your corrosion warranty…or at least make it very difficult to submit a claim…

You won’t need a corrosion warranty with an MX-5

2 Likes

Yes it does. Read what Rodders recommends, I think he says annual changes, so 3 years is well overdue.
It’s only £90, a new gearbox is £----- fill in the blanks…

1 Like

They can’t really pass much on these days due to the lovely EU regulation of GDPR.

Thats funny…

1 Like

Tell that to any NB owner…

1 Like