MX5's intimidating?

Several times now I’ve been driving along a dual carriageway in the 5, stretching its legs in the outside lane and minding my own business, and passing someone who’s in the inside lane, who then suddenly pulls out behind me and ends up about five feet behind me, W.T.F !, now I could floor it but usually end up pulling over to let the brainless pleb go past, I mean its not exactly a Ferrari, whats the matter with some people.
P.S. There’s no excuse even if it was a Ferrari, bl**dy D*ckheads are everywhere.
Must check that lottery ticket.

10 Likes

They probably wouldn’t do it if you were driving a Ferrari, because they know they would be on a hiding to nothing , plebs.

4 Likes

Totally agree. Does my head in! All I want to do is have a nice drive out without idiots wanting to race me.

4 Likes

I’m an old guy with white hair and beard. I just wave them by with my best Santa Claus smile. That usually disarms them :grin:

8 Likes

I find tailgating a real problem with my 5.
Rarely happens with the BeeEmm.

2 Likes

I’m an old guy still with brown hair. I don’t race them, just wonder at their mentality. Have you ever noticed how many cars speed up when you go to overtake them on a motorway?:grin:

5 Likes

Some insecure people take it as an affront to their capabilities if they are overtaken.

Pity them and let them pass.

2 Likes

You mean you can’t keep up with them?:grin:

Agree, I’m 63 myself, and as an ex Motorcyclist I still enjoy stretching the 5’s legs when I get the chance, but not in the form of a race down the A12, I leave that to the rush hour commuters heading for London every morning, as for cars speeding up when you go to overtake, I think they do it as a form of entertainment because they’re bored or as mentioned, insecure…or they’re just D*ckheads :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

It’s not just MX5’s, I’ve got all sorts of unwanted attention from the baseball cap wearing d%ckheads driving clapped out old hatchbacks when I’m in my UP! GTI, especially in the evenings. Not just males either.
Never got any problems in my M140, (despite it being orange) or any of the other BM’s I’ve had.

2 Likes

Good old fashioned jealousy isn’t it, that you are having more fun than them.

Try driving a Porsche… literally wiping the spit off…lol

1 Like

It’s not just with 5’s .
My company car is a 1.5 diesel Insignia, plenty of times I’ve overtaken folk doing 50-55mph on country roads (60mph) whilst heading up to north Scotland and they accelerate as you start to pass them, I just put the boot down and ignore the Lightfoot that’s installed going “nudge” and the lights going red, usually I’m going long distances so still get either “elite driving” or “good driving” from it when I stop. Only the vans have reporting back about speed as far as I’m aware, though not sure about if/when Lightfoot gives you a penalty - not had any - yet!

Excuse my ignorance, but what on earth is Lightfoot?

2 Likes

So pleased it is not just me. White hair, going bald on top, and of pension age, and an ex-racer to boot. I could lose them if I wanted, but the fun comes from enjoying the car at my own pace. But tail-gaters beware… I might just go slower.

4 Likes

Maybe it is jealousy as well, and certain cars seem to set them off, like most people I try to ignore it and let them go and just enjoy the drive, although I don’t have much choice if the missus is with me, she sort of keeps me in check,as I get ongoing running commentary, " how fast are you going?, slow down, was that a Police car?, you’ll get three more points on your licence, there’s a sharp bend coming up, what was that flash, did you go through a speed camera?" etc etc :grin:

4 Likes

@as400 Does your user name have as IBM connection?

1 Like

The best example I had of this irrational behaviour was a couple of years ago. I had met up with an old flame and I’d taken her out in my white MX5 Mk1. Sunny day so top down and we were chatting happily about old times. I pulled up behind a McLaren at a set of traffic lights. He has seen us in his rear view mirror, so when the lights turned green, he shot off like a bat out of hell and went well above the 30 mph speed limit. It amused me that MY old MX5 had that effect on him.

5 Likes

Just a vehicle tracking device used by some fleet operators. I once saw it in operation when working for a vehicle logistics company when they wanted to know what drivers were doing. It ‘caught’ one doing 110mph, with an average between two points over 90mph!

Yep…Not just the MX5 but used to happen Back in the Day with my Mark IV Spitfire :hot_face:

Is It my Imagination …So often when I’ve checked the rear view mirror the vehicle tail-gating has Four Linked Circles as It’s Logo :zipper_mouth_face:

Perhaps It’s Just Us…‘Mature’ Owners…Just Wanting Peace & Quiet in Our Twilight Years :thinking: :bath: :sleeping_bed: :zzz: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I’ve noticed less tailgating in this latest NC compared with my previous one. Been on a few motorways dual carriageways etc lately too. I reckon it could be the small reverse camera I’ve fitted, can possibly be mistaken for a rear facing camera, who knows. Had a few come really close then seem to back off.

3 Likes