My Automatic is gone

But the car is not.
Age finally catches up with sensors etc and you try getting AutoSensors for an old Jatco 3speed +O/d 4th.
After nearly a year & two replacement boxes, coupled with very poor workmanship in a garage I used for 25 years, the last one dripped ATF onto a tinkly hot CAT and started an underbonnet fire. Suffice to say I did a couple of things to stop it…just as well as I’d just filled the tank with E5.
Just in time too.
Decision taken. It was needing it’s new hood fitted, the window lifters fixed, and a long list of fettles like gauges sorted.
Had it shipped to Andrew Autolink in Dumfries who has been steadily fixing a very long list of jobs since September…we are nearly there bar a bit more welding.
Old slushbox out, good 5 speeder in from some rot box somewhere, all fluids changed, wiring replaced that got scorched…etc etc.
Looking forward to driving…my first manual MK1. I’ve heard they are fun?
Not forgetting all the chassis was done last year with new coilovers, full brake rebuild, new bracing & ARBs…everything. Plus it’s SS exhaust with the truly horrid Mx5 Parts so called silenced CAT bypass whipped out and binned…for a new CAT to act as a silencer.
New Rainsports, refurbed PanaSport 14"-ers complete the package…and Andrew says the new tan hood I sent looks the dogs-dangles…think it’s really a Mk2 Prestige jobby I got a couple of years back from a write off. It was never actually used…poor sod.
Anyway…I’ll need to remember I’ve got this odd 3 pedal arrangement with a weird “clutch” thingy and not do 40 in first waiting for it to change up.
I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it. :wink:

SWMBO & I actually don’t live in Stirlingshire quite so much.
We got a Waiting for God place in the relative wilds up the north west where we split our time…just us, our moggies who love it, and the 2 Fives. Looking for an old Jap 4x4 for snow and stuff just now.
Ill keep in touch on and off.
Take care all.

14 Likes

Good to see you back Sir!

1 Like

Nice to hear you’re still 5ing.
Let us know how you get on with that twiddly lever in the middle :+1:

1 Like

Been called a few things over many decades, however I must confess “Sir” has a certain appeal to it.
:wink:

3 Likes

Not to put too fine a point, but I’m searching for a nice nob wot will go with this tiller 'ere.

That does not cost £100.00 or so.
Remember…I’m Jockhanistani.
Hoots Mon mah poorrrr wee Sporran.

1 Like

:smiley:good to have you back!

2 Likes

Something like this? Nardi Prestige Mahogany Gear Shift Knob

1 Like

I think you maybe nailed it bud TBH.
I don’t need gate numbers.
Good man you.

1 Like

Good to hear from you Robin.
I was down at autolink a couple of weeks ago picking up new calipers/discs/pads etc.
Your car would’ve been there then…

1 Like

Happiness is :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Mrs Scottish Fiver :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Plus 2 x MX5 :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Plus 2 x Moggies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Plus Wilds of Scotland :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Envy from a Sassenach :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Welcome Back & Congrats for Beating the Attack :muscle:

You Are Part of My History on the Forum When I First Started Posting :writing_hand:

:open_mouth: :astonished:

Sending You :clap: :handshake: :hugs:

'Cos Only the Good Die Young …LOL… :rofl:

2 Likes

Glad to see it’s all getting fixed up! I’m sure you’ll make some fun out of the manual

You seem to be living the dream I’m quite jealous sir!

Amazing project, and good to hear you’re not giving up on it after a fire!

Quick question…I have a '92 auto and I’m dealing with something you mentioned (doing 40 before changing out of first). Mine only does it when first started in the morning, but give it 5 minutes and it starts behaving itself. Do you think it’s just an elusive “AutoSensor” issue? If so, any ideas which one? I’m not in a position to replace transmissions, but happy to tinker.

I presume it’s a Eunos in which case forget it…you have a properly working system.
Unlikely to be faulty.
The way the Auto Control box ( an ECU in its own by any other name) talks to the engine’s ECU means that thanks to Japanese emission regs, the temp sensors in the engine ECU tell the Auto ECU when it’s OK to change up normally when…and only until, the Engine ECU senses it’s off what you could call “Auto-choke”…eg burning a lot of fuel on enrichment until it mixture-leans itself back.
Clearly, while on auto-enrich, all petrol engines are super-polluting for a mile or two.
TheJapanese didnt like it back then and like it less now.
That’s probably why it holds in a higher gear…more revs…quicker heat up.
Mine did it for 15 years.

With your auto, I’d strongly advise getting it ramped and checking the metal pressure pipes.
They are mild steel and rot. You cannot get them. Only Pirtek or the likes could make them up at massive cost. So, clean them off, and get some anti rust stuff on them.

2 Likes

Great tip, thanks.
Yes, an Eunos. I’ve owned plenty of autos in the past, and they all did that “auto choke” thing, including this one. The issue is more like it now refuses to shift out of first when first started, just revs higher and higher. I nurse it along for a few minutes, maybe gently manually shift from D into 2 to get into 2nd, but after a short time it’s perfectly fine.
I’ve done all the obvious things, and an Autoshop told me I’m not hurting it if I’m careful with it until it behaves, but I’ll always ask someone smarter than me who brings up the subject.
I’ve replaced the vacuum diaphragm and vac tubing, but I’ll have a good look at those pipes. Thanks again.

That’s a different story. I guess your 40mph should have flagged up my brainbox a bit better.
First thing is go through the proper ATF level checks.
And, if you feel the ATF & filter is original, time to drain & renew.
It could be that simple.
Or…not.
Meantime…don’t over rev it…it’s a good way to booger the torque converter and damage the ATF clutches. As I found out.

1 Like

Thanks guys.
Andrew has ( cough :zipper_mouth_face:) tested :racing_car: it to and from it’s MOT & weldshop stuff .
He seems happy.
If Andrew is happy, I’m happy.
Toppo bloke which is why I fetched the thing 107 miles down to him.
In the end, I did not want anyone else near my car. Last chance saloon.
Make or break re-engineering.
One bad cock up…scrap.

5 Likes

Picked up the Mk1 from Andrew today courtesy of my lad who drove the 106 miles to take me.
1st Manual Mk1 I’ve driven and after 15y years of it being an Auto in my ownership…it was…erm…a bit different! I’m used to a manual 5 anyhow with my wife’s 6 speeder Sport, so it was a bit like driving the 2 at the one time…sort of.
Is it quicker? No. But it feels and sounds quicker with it’s Mx5 Parts SS single exit. In fact I’d say up to 70 it was the same if not a tad slower…but these 1840cc autos are a dark mid range kickdown secret.
What was very different was the revs at 70mph top. Auto: 3050 rpm lope cruiser. Manual: 3600 odd and a bit frenetic tbh. Bit of a disappointment but unavoidable…it is what it is.
The weapon will not get a great deal of weekly use…so petrol is of zero relevance to me.
Love the rifle bolt change and Andrew ( Autolink Dumfries) has done a great job with the pedal box & clutch surgery. Good fun playing tunes though…and lots of subdued pops and burbles.
No idea about fuel etc…and I don’t give a toss. Never have.
Car looks stunning with it’s new tan hood etc as well.
Many Thanks Andrew.

5 Likes

Keep your left knee well oiled, I have to with my 6 speed manual and old knees.:weary::grin:

Glad you’ve got her back Robin
Any pics?

1 Like

Will do mate soon.
Got home it was clagged with farm road filth and the roads were slimy all the way back.
I’ll give it a wee shampoo & set at the local jet wash first.
It’s odd looking at a gear nob after 15 years though.
Gear nob is I think a pretty non descriptive bit of fugly OEM plastic but I’ve a mate offering a nice SS nob FOC.
It was good to put my Nakamichi head unit in and tribute Mr Meatloaf going home.
I did not go bat out of hell though due to road conditions but I was loving the snick snick gears.
Inducing wee hints of opposite lock out of greasy twisties was really easy…with an open diff!
Much nicer change than the wife’s 2002 Sport as well but Andrew@Autolink’s engineer put in a good one and changed out the tranny oil for some whatever sexy stuff.

Maybe meet up you and I again come the good weather for a natter and butty.
Cardiac consultants signed me off fit for Roadster hood down action on Friday following a 90 minute M.O.T.
Seems I’m doing well now. Certainly, drove the Roadster 107 miles with vigour and felt perfectly fine.

6 Likes