My first Rally :(

This thread is worthless without pics! Whistling

As someone who is now on board for the organising of next years National at Prescott, I think we could possibly russle up another Gazeebo for that attraction Ken if it helps with attendance or would you prefer it as part of the saturdays after dinner events? Wink 

Personally I have been to 5 Nationals and I have to say (with the exception of the mallory racing) this was one of the better events for me, especially with the MOT input the day before at Silverstone. I only hope that the event at Prescott will be as well planned and received, But Im sure it will be knowing whos behind it all.

I find I have to answer this, first where our stand is at the Silverstone Classic is not down to the club, we go where we are told to go.

As for merchandise, there was a load on sale in the owners club tent and if you did not see it I fail to see why!

Also a number of us spent just about the whole day for three days on the stand talking to anyone any potential owners / members or even anyone build a kit car based on an MX-5

Aboslute rubbish Drew! We walked around the whole stand, up and down every isle and looked at every car on show, we walked up to and in the tent, no merchandise was on offer at all (Saturday afternoon) no refreshments on offer and nobody apart from a clicky bunch sat huddled around gassing loudly, to offer any kind of welcome.

Perhaps we came at the wrong moment?

Anyway, as I stated - It put us off going to the National.

Dr. EunosGeek

You should of come to us at Autolink on the sunday,no click there John,just owners with passionsThumbs up

M-m

Utter bilge Dr Eunos.  I was there all three days and saw what a huge effort was put in by Drew & Dee (and PJ & Lucy) from before opening time until after closing.  There was plenty of merchandise of all sorts, free bottled water and a real welcome for all.  It make me mad and sad for all that commitment to be rubbished by you.  Shame on you.

Everyone is entitled to say it how they they saw it, and for the third time of asking - we found the Silverstone stand a bit of a disappointment after the long treck to actually find it, so much so that it put us off going to the National.

It was our first time at the classic, we done both Sat & Sun, not sure what you want from a car stand Taff but I think it was spot on , well set out, when we arrived we got shown to our space and was parked up by I guess one of the stewards ( well I think he was a steward ) we were both given a cold bottle of water on Sat & Sun, we had a look around at some of the cars, spoke to about four couples from other region’s and then had a look in the merchandise tent, yes a lot of the stuff we had seen before but that is because we have been to the last six rallys, but I still manage to buy something which is rare for me.

We then had a long walk around most of the other stands over the two day’s and I can not see how you think that any other stands were any better then our’s, from where I was standing there were a lot of stands with cars parked all over the place and nobody around to talk to if you did show any interest.

On both day’s we sat by our car with a picnic and spoke to quite a few people, you might have seen one of our members with his bonnet up on both day’s so he could let people take a look at his handy work and he spent a lot of time explaning what he had done, there was interest from mx-5 owners and non mx-5 owners.

All in all I think the owners club but on a good show, like I said a lot better then some of the so called bigger boy’s I could mention.

I Agree

In fact, I couldn’t agree more, it was my first MX5 Event (only had the car a few months) and my visit to Silverstone confirmed my decision to attend the National Rally. The Club ‘Marquee’ was impressive- friendly greetings, free water, and plenty of Club Merchandise for sale.

Although some may consider the stand to have been ‘tucked away’ it was very visible and the number of flags/banners could seen from a long way off; coupled with the precision parking it made a very impressive sight.  The fact that it was organised and laid out by VOLUNTEERS, not Professional Event Organisers, makes it even more impressive!

I have been involved with a number of clubs over my time and have always found that it is very easy to make critical comment on events that are organised, but I have always taken the view that you get as much out of any club as you put in. (Have made a mental note to offer my services where I can for any local events in the future)

As one of the “volunteers” who spent the whole of thursday evening and the following two days setting up and maintaining the OC stand and marquee, I can asure you that the merchandise table was both present and also maintained throughout my time there. Also free bottled MX5OC labeled water was on offer througout the event.

The position of the pitch was (as has previously been discussed in the appropriate thread) MOVED AT THE LAST MINUTE BY SILVERSTONE!

We made the best of the situation we had been given on the thursday evening and tried to revamp our layout etc to match the stand. In reality the position of the stand was somewhat remote, but (and its a BIG but!) the position compared to the last year with regard to watching the actual racing was far better , being a few feet from the stand.

At the end of the day the classic is not our event and as such we can only work within their rules.

As for freindliness or cliques, well what about just coming to say hello instead of waiting for us to approach you? It was a very long and hot few days so some of us were tired so maybe you just caught us through the small period where tiredness won?

Next year if you make it there come find me, and I will make you tea or coffee myself!

By taff eunos in National Rally 2011 Billing Aquadrome

I will not be shouted down and am more than capable of making my own tea or coffee thanks! There was no merchandising for sale that we could find, no hospitality and no enthusiasm for attracting new OC members when we attended the Silverstone Classic in 2011, simple as.

Am sure a few people put an effort into setting up a stand for the weekend, my understanding is that the MX5OC won some accolade for best cub stand in 2010 ?? and as such should not have had to put up with a last minute change of location by Silverstone, perhaps the communication with the organisers wasn`t up to scratch?

Long hot days at Silverstone can grind folk down, we have just come back from the Britcar 24hr race this evening immagine how hot the place was this time around… pretty warm.

This club has pretty deep coffers, just looking at the membership renewal numbers, we can do an even better job at putting on a show than I have seen so far. My whole point of mentioning the Silverstone Classic experiance is to try to make things even better and for the club to take stock from the constructive critism mentioned by the OP of this thead, member or forum member only - it makes no difference. Instead the OP was berated to dare to critisise any aspect of the National Rally in the slightest.

Now I find myself being told of wonderous aspects to the Silvestone Classic MX5OC offering, that simply were very much not there to see when we attended the stand, Specsavers here I come!

Dr. Eunos

Thank you, in reply to the above post & some of the others, i got the impression that i should not moan as i was not a member! I did say in a post above that i would become a member & help out at next years event. But thanks to Dr Eunos, i  have decided not to bother with membership or offer any help, as clearly there is more internal politics & “this is how we always do it” within the organising team than the Tory conference going on at the moment. 

People have to want to change & reading the above posts, i don’t think they want to change or improve things or maybe they are happy with what they have got and don’t want outsiders such as me “in the gang”

So for the above reasons i will not attend another rally again & as they say on Dragon’sDen “I’m Out”

Thank You

{#emotions_dlg.thumbdn}

You two just haven’t been listening to what we’ve said have you?  We’ve welcomed your criticism as constructive, taken on board good points made, disagreed with you where we feel you are mistaken regarding the Silverstone Classic (you will allow disagreement won’t you, Taff?) and more importantly invited you warmly to join the club and get involved in future events so that you can help us to raise our game to the standards you feel are possible.   I think it’s very sad, but perhaps predictable, that you are content to stand on the outside throwing stones (metaphorically) rather than participating.  Perhaps you are right that this club is not for you, but good luck and best wishes for the future.

Guys, this one has run it’s course, lets move on and look forward to next spring [in your caseWink]