My MK1 1.8 import - a long winded progress diary

Great progress, really getting there now!!

1 Like

Cheers @suggs_84 I thought so too but then ripping everything off to get to the coolant reroute (that was one of the first jobs I did) felt like a huge backstep :joy:

HOWEVER

thisl be why I was losing coolant out the back of the head at an alarming rate when it was warm

It would appear I made a complete James Hunt of installing the spacer and stat/housing before

Guessing the stat slipped out of position and I didn’t notice when I’ve been jamming it down the back of the engine bay

However 2

Work has provided the engineering grade goods again

Yell no leak this time ya bar steward

Just gunna let that dry overnight and try firing it all back in tomorrow with more glorious redness on the mating side from the spacer to the housing after a good clean up ofc

Suffolk Mazda strikes again with some genuine jass lowpros

1 Like

You don’t happen to have an nearside vented cover perchance?

I’ve got a passenger fiberglass one that’s not great, I’m always on the hunt for nice vents

But also

Jaaaassss!! Love em, absolutely amazing condition, the guy from Suffolk Mazda said they’d only been on the car they got em off a few months, love a early bird deal
I see someone was trying to go and buy em for cash after they’d been sold to me :joy: early bird fool!

The passenger one sits a bit low as I need to tighten the bottom adjuster arm 14mm up more but i need something better to get into the space

1 Like

Aswell as fitting the jass headlights I’ve fired the coolant reroute back in with plenty o gasket stuff, leave that overnight to dry properly and I’ll fill it back up with coolant tomorrow and run it up to temp, hopefully no more leaks and itl be ready for an MOT!!

After the headlights are aligned as I’m sure ones going to the shop and ones coming back and I also need to solder a cable onto the ECU so o can get tach, forgot about that one, easy enough though!

Redone all the stonechip tonight, Al looking nice and fresh

Also filled the coolant back up and let it idle for a while, all looking good and no leaks!! Very pleased

So now the only jobs on my list are do a bit of lacquer over the red that I painted to make it representable and sort the tach (but if it doesn’t need the tach for an MOT i might not bother my erse just now

Also needs a good clean and some nice wheels

And a v5

5 Likes

And yes I will repaint my floor when the 5 moves

We used to have an expression, when pulling in cables: ‘a cable cut to length is always too short’, which led to the generally held advice to flake it out to the nearest half mile. :smile:

2 Likes

Better looking at it than for it, well there’s PLENTY spare on the garage floor to look at :joy:

1 Like

Cops have arrived!! Very excited about cops however my laptop’s totaly dead in the water so will have to sort something out for that before these become more than a nice paperweight

New upper and lower shift boot have arrived from mx5parts, along with some redline oil, so that’s a job for the weekend at least!

1 Like

New upper and lower shift boots on with some new juice and a splash of paint to tidy it up, it was a bit of a mess

Also fixed a vac leak and it idles slightly better (but still sounds high, no tach to check ATM) the pipe from the charcoal canister didn’t really fit the metal pipe from the fuel tank or whatever it is so got a tiny jubilee clip on it, might try tighten it some more later and see if that’s causing the high idle but I can’t see any splits in any of the vac lines, need to spray the inlet mani and see if that’s where the leak is

However much pleased for now, need some sidelight screws and ordered a window strip clip and it’s ready for a clean

1 Like

Hunting for some stuff to do to the 5

Decided to get big baws and solder the ECU, worked fine and now i have revs back! Got a vac leak somewhere as I can’t get it to idle below 1500, not the valve cover, not the charcoal delete, not the thin pipe on the back of the Mani so not really sure where to look next, was going to spray brake cleaner on the inlet mani join but it’s empty so I’ll get more from work on Tuesday :upside_down_face:

Also started removing the horrible white suede stuff that’s been glued all over the place, some elbow grease with tar and glue remover sorted out the glue no problems

It’s still on the dash trim, centre console, glove box and steering column cover just now but that stuffs all quite tidy so I’ll get rid of it later, centre console armrest bit is manky so want to try a 50/50 on that before o remove it :joy:

Made a wee order from bofi abusing the discount code whilst it stands

Davefab rear jacking bar as the cars sh*te to jack up
New racing rad cap as my coolant tanks bubbling, hope this will fix that

And a full set of Murray clamps to replace all the jubilees that came with the g19 turbo kit (65 donks in bloody clamps :face_vomiting:)

1 Like

Bofi stuff all turned up

Murray clamps are braaawwww

Got the rear jacking bar and new high pressure rad cap on, hopefully the rad cap fixes the coolant boiling into the overflow

3 Likes

Lower timing cover came from autolink, I’ll clean it up and butcher it so I can fit it without removing anything (hopefully) then take it back off when I’m done

Also got a timing light so ready to get it running at 10deg, hoping it running at tdc is the reason it’s idling at 1500

If it’s not that then the suspects are the maf sensor - which I’ll replace with the iat sensor from the turbo kit

Or the throttle body just needs adjusted, which I did before but hadn’t put it in diagnostics mode, so it did nothing. I’ll do that first since it’s the easiest and quickest but the timing will be moved to 10deg regardless

New wheels aquired for a good price!!
Enkei rpf1 15x8 et28

Also whoring next to my ultras!

Enkei don’t make centre caps for the 15" wheels as they consider them track wheels apparently, so ordered up some custom hobbies from Murca!

And also decided to give the Toyo proxes tr1’s out on these since they’re supposed to be far superior to the old t1r’s , got 4 in 205/50/15 for 200 and change, couple/few weeks wait on the centre caps and I’ll get em all on, absolutely love these wheels!

5 Likes

Love the Enkei’s! Those are the proper ones, that my Japan Racing wheels are the copy/rep of haha great work as always

1 Like

Thanks mate, Ive wanted rpf1s for a long time and a good deal cam up closeby so couldn’t miss it! Was prepping to buy them new from bofi in gold for 1100 odd, I don’t even think I’ve spent that with tyres and centre caps included and the wheels are near immaculate!

2 Likes

Got the timing gun out today and sorted out the ignition timing, was miles off, now set to 10deg and idling lower and much better, slight hunting low down maybe 50ish revs or so sometimes, can see the afr changing when it does it

Cant get it to idle below 1050/1100 for now so better but not fixed, going to have a look at the clutch switch and see if that’s goosed

Also got some skidnation rails on sale, might get the pro2000’s in soon
IMG_20201204_184657|375x500