My NA Is Repaired - A Good New Story

:grinning: I’m too happy about this after 8 weeks of anguish at having a fox go right into the front of the car and having to drive a few miles home with coolant leaking and unsure if she’d start again. A compressions test, new radiator, a/c deleted, new undertray, plate, holder and air dam later and some help from a mate to get the bumper and splitter stitched back together she’s back on the road and ready to go again.

First pic doesn’t do it much justice the bumper was in some mess paint wise along side the split and panels that needed replaced. Can’t believe the splitter was saved as well.

Before

!
During
!
Now

I’ve got a playlist of it on YouTube if anyone is interested in that sort of thing. (Be gentle, I’m no mechanic and it’s really only for a laugh more than anything)

Can’t wait to get back out for some decent shots and filming opportunities again :grin:(After lockdown obviously)

7 Likes

For those wheel arch crosshead clips, I find the best way is to jam in a flat head screwdriver under the “flange”, and then the crosshead part generally unscrews ok, once the thread has something to bite on.

Those “kevlar reinforced” hoses I don’t trust; always Mazda originals. Had a few one on me quite quickly, and it was apparent the “reinforcement” was non-existant. Supplier blamed a bad batch, but once bit, twice shy.

1 Like

Thanks saz good to know about the hoses! I’ll be keeping an eye on them perilously over the next few weeks to see what happens with them. Holding pretty strong just now but suppose that’s just because they are new.

Hope I don’t have to go back into the arch liners anytime too soon :grin: bit of a pain to get those out. Thanks for checking it out!

Self indulgent I know but had to share this ever so slightly enhanced pic. Unintentionally now think I’ve found the respray colour :rofl:

2 Likes

Vin Rouge/ Merlot.
My very favourite all time Mk1 paint.
Rarely see any out and about any more.
Either trailer queens or scrapped.

You have to consider, however, how it will look when the shut lines, under bonnet give the game away.
It’s never been a “Good Look”. Unless you are doing a full nut & bolt strip down.

1 Like

A good point well made! I think if the time comes to actually do a respray it probably would be nut and bolt, most of the cu red on mine is in decent enough nick the now though.

Wouldn’t be on the cards for years though, can cost way too much.

1 Like

If anyone is interested, I’ve done a video on it :point_down:

1 Like

Jings Crivins & Help mah Boab.
I’ll need to fire up the wee beastie now.
Wheel-Bruce1

1 Like

It has to be done :grin: Love that picture at the Falkirk wheel. I need to get over there at some point once the restrictions are lifted. Just the thought of having to do the motorway miles :joy:

1 Like

What rough postal area :wink: are you?
PerSec and all that,

Scotland somewhere :joy:… G77 Area

I roam about mostly East Renfrewshire and down towards the Ayrshire Coast for drives. Plenty of nice twisty roads over here but I need to start branching out elsewhere soon.

1 Like

Yup. :wink:

1 Like

The NC 500 will be the major goal at some point. Keep saying I’m going to do it then it gets put off. Need to buy a tent then it’ll have to happen.

1 Like

A more minor fun run, not too far from you really could be the Kilmahog > Aberfoyle Dukes Pass “track”.
Hit me up if you want when things get loosened legally.
Only an hour.

1 Like

I know where you’re talking about, ironically stayed in Aberfoyle for 2 night 2 years ago, took the car but when we were driving up it was the hottest day of the year and ended up burnt :joy:Didn’t drive the Pass in the end :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Disgraceful! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I know, I’ll need to correct that wrong. :joy: