My Need for Speed

Disclaimer: The following is intended to be a lighthearted opinion piece based on my own personal experience derived through education, self research and empirical testing. I’ve tried to keep scientific terms to a minimum.

Awakened Curiosity

I wasn’t much of a car person. Although in my younger days I did enjoy taking my 1.0l Fiesta out for a drive just to appreciate a change of scenery. I was oblivious to horsepower, torque and other measures by which a car is rated. Nowadays it seems most of the focus is on the car’s power and torque. Owning an MX-5 has stirred my latent interest in cars causing my engineering traits to come to the fore.

Why So Fast?

The first thing I noticed during my test drive of the MX-5 was how fast it felt when keeping to the speed limit. This was reminiscent of my very first car, a Mini 850. The fastest I ever managed in the Mini was about 80 mph, for a very short period, pedal to the metal, with the help of gravity, and on a long downhill stretch. The car was shaking and it felt like any second now one or more panels will detach and fly off. It’s also interesting to have something that one can contrast against, in this case the fear of death made me feel alive!

The simple answer to the above question could have been because you are sitting closer to the ground. I accept that as a general answer but the engineer in me wants to delve deeper. So I started my pondering. I pondered via YouTube, via web searches and by empirical research. The latter being the most fun!

The Eyes Have It

Our vision is composed of a central region, taking up 30%, where highly packed photoreceptors detect colour and resolve details. The other 70% make up the peripheral region, containing an order of magnitude more photoreceptors. These are more sensitive to lower light levels. Information from each region is processed by different parts of the brain. The image we see when we focus our eyes on, the central region, is given more processing time by the brain. After all there are a lot of details that need to be taken onboard. Blurs in the peripheral region doesn’t get the same attention. Instead it is wired to a more instinctive part of the brain that is associated with our fight or flight response mechanism.
Think of a time when something flew toward your eye and you instinctively shut your eyes before it hits. All this happening without you seeing what that object was. Another example is watching a horror movie. It feels much scarier on a big cinema screen, where things that are fleeting at the edge of the screen induce an instinctive reaction. Whereas the same film when watched on a TV screen, where you can focus on the whole scene, does not induce the same primal reaction.

The sensation of speed is linked to what’s happening in our peripheral vision. On everyday roads, being lower to the ground, the visual cues for speed is enhanced as objects seemingly flash past. Doing 60 on a motorway tend to feel slower compared to doing 40 down a narrow B-road with hedges on either side. The same is true in any car when driving at night with dipped beam. The transition from light to dark, as objects appear then disappear, seem much quicker in the periphery of our vision. If we were to put blinders on, our field of vision would focus front and centre. The sensation of speed will be the same whether we’re driving along the motorway or on narrower roads with objects closer to the edge.

Likewise with the top down, it feels faster compared to driving with the top up. Visibility, albeit in the periphery of vision, is increased with the top down. We subconsciously see more blurs, triggering more fight or flight responses in our brain. Can we equate speed to our subconscious being in constant agitation? I’m not sure but it somehow feels like it.

Please Sit Still

I think the fastest I’ve ever travelled is 575 mph. I absolutely did not feel the speed, especially being 6 miles up in the sky. This begs the question: why don’t we feel speed?

Isaac Newton helpfully provides the answer. His first law of motion states:

an object at rest will stay at rest, and an object in motion will stay in motion unless acted on by a net external force.

There is additional mathematical reference, which I’ll skip over, that essentially equates the speed you sitting at home, in your armchair, being equivalent to you sitting in a chair in 1st class, 6 miles up travelling at 575 mph.

The less scientific explanation is: the human body is useless at sensing speed!

So why do some cars feel faster than others?

Our body can sense accelerations, defined as a change in speed over time. We notice it when being pushed or shoved. Fluids in our ears sense motion in three dimensional space to provide orientation. Like the feeling of going up or down, turning left or right. Once we’re no longer subject to acceleration our motion sensing organs stop sending signals to the brain, it’s as if we’re now stationary.

I’ve only recently discovered the term micro acceleration in relation to driving sensations. When a car is tuned on purpose or by chance, it exerts these micro accelerations on our body. We feel it as little jolts upward from the seat, being pushed slightly to the left or to the right, when we corner the body roll induces additional sensation of movement. These combine to give an overall sense of speed.

One particular experiment I did was to drive along the same stretch of a dual carriageway and compare the sensation of speed between different cars. As I come off the roundabout I’d accelerate hard until I get up to the speed limit. I’d make a mental note of my feelings during this period of time. When driving the much heavier Twin Turbo V6, capable of 0-60 in 4.7s, it was pretty much floor it and within a few slow motion blinks coupled with a yawn the car has achieved the speed limit. Trying the same in the MX-5, with the top and windows down, my eyes wide open, right hand firm grip on the steering wheel, left hand frantically rowing through the gears, heart pounding like I’ve just ran the 80m dash, hoping I don’t crash and all with a big grin on my face. The amount of micro accelerations exhibited in the little MX-5 all contributed to the overall sense of speed. It felt much faster than the bigger and more powerful car while taking almost twice as long to get to the same speed.

Advanced apologies for this rather crude analogy: it’s like having an intimate time with your lover, you want the climax to last as long as possible, not be over in a few seconds.

Pump Up The Volume

Have you ever watched a high definition movie with the sound off? Visually the movie may be stunningly beautiful, but emotions are unlikely to stir within you. Movie soundtracks can take you through the whole spectrum of emotion within a single sitting. The ones I’m interested in are those that lift the spirit, make you want to run along with the characters and build up hope for the future.

And so we come to exhaust and engine sound.

I’ve ditched my radio unit and have also removed unused speakers from my car. The only sound I like to listen to when out driving is the crescendo from the exhaust and engine as the revs climb and climb. This soundtrack adds another layer to my MX-5 movie. I may not be going fast but it sure sound and feel fast!

In my experience not all exhaust and engine sound combinations contribute to the overall feeling of speed. I think a lot of what I hear around my area is really for annoying bystanders and not for the enjoyment of the driver. (This sentence is my Get Off My Lawn! moment)

Another layer to add to the MX-5 experience is driving with the windows down. This increases wind noise in the cabin and also allow our ears to pickup the doppler effect from roadside objects as you approach then leave them behind. These auditory cues contribute to the feeling of speed.

It’s Not Me It’s You

We are all different. Our brain are wired differently. We each process external stimulus differently. I myself am not an adrenaline junkie but maybe you are?

What might feel fast for one person could be considered a bore to someone else. Generally our reaction speed diminishes with age. The flip side is we tend to be more cautious. Too much external stimuli will overwhelm our brain, kicking our fight or flight instinct into overdrive. Our pupils dilate, our pulse quickens, palms become clammy and we’re on the adrenaline high. Speed!

The push for luxury in modern car designs means the removal of as much external stimuli as possible. Less micro acceleration on the body by adjusting dampers and shock absorbers. Less visual stimuli by encasing the driver in a cabin that feels vast, higher ride height and bigger A and B pillars. Less auditory stimuli by adding more sound proofing and tuning for a quieter exhaust. All these design decisions combine to give the driver an almost detached sense from the road. The next evolution would be for the driver to be sitting in the back of the car as it drives itself to the desired destination.

Speed Conquered?

Our perception of speed boils down to what we see, more correctly the blurs that pass in our peripheral vision, the sounds we hear where auditory cues elicit emotions from within and our bodies being physically pushed around. How fast we feel then depends on our psychological makeup. Same car, same road and same driving conditions, speed perception will invariably vary among different groups of drivers.

I’ve figured out how to satiate my need for speed. Here are my tips based on extensive empirical testing (cough cough).

1. Pick a route that comprises a fast straight stretch like a dual carriageway, a B-road with foliage on either side that has multiple twists and turns, an uphill stretch with multiple turns and throw in several different size roundabouts.
  2. Make it a late evening event. This automatically increases your perception of speed by 10-20 mph.
  3. Drive with the top down. Adds another 10 mph to the perceived speed.
  4. Wind the windows down. Adds another 10 mph to the perceived speed.
  5. Only use the first 4 gears. Redline as often as possible. The sound adds another 10 mph.
  6. Most importantly don’t be over-confident. Know your and your car’s limit.

Now when I’m doing 60 mph it feels like 100! Repeat until you’re intimate with the route so that one day you no longer feel the car, it’ll be just you and road.

Typically my route takes between 30-40 minutes door to door and is enough to curb the craving for speed for another few days. It’s also an excellent way to clear my head after a long and stressful day at work.

-Hien

11 Likes

I once did 178 mph.
Wife went into labour, so I certainly felt the need for speed.
In a Hyundai Pony 1300.
At least…it felt like it. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Another brilliant piece.

In my van recently I pointed out to my wife that 70 mph felt sedate and boring in comparison to the MX5, she asked why and I pointed out our height, cabin being reasonably soundproof etc. It makes a real difference.

Fastest I went on my own was 158, a Mazda 626 V6 I had. Absolutely amazing and I hope I never do it again. 80 in the ND is brilliant and safe as I age and my need for speed can be satisfied safely while my reaction times dwindle :joy::joy:

I’m new to this scene. Didn’t know much about cars and have felt my joy of driving has been transformed in the last 3 months. You’ve just told me why in two articles. Thanks.

3 Likes

Cracking read Hien, thanks for taking the time to write and share this.
Some of the points you make are well founded and explain my love for these little cars.
The joy is that they can be enjoyed at real world, relatively safe speeds rather than dangerously high, rocket ship numbers.
Long may it continue.
What’s next? Where will your inquisitiveness transport you on this MX-5 journey?
Stay safe,
Guy

3 Likes

Have you ever noticed how our perception of speed is reversed when our mind is ahead of itself? Say you’re out for a relaxing drive doing 40 along an A-road, it feels plenty fast enough. However when you’re late for an appointment, your mind is focused on the destination and doing 40 along the same road just doesn’t feel fast enough.

Same goes for when you’re angry while driving, which is not a good combination. Our vision is then focused front and centre so doing a 100 closely behind someone, to make sure the driver can see your finger gesture, just doesn’t feel that fast. :unamused:

3 Likes

Thanks for your comments @TOGs_driver . What’s next you ask? It’ll likely be Where next? I’ve read a few articles in the STHT magazines where members visited various places and recalled their experiences. I yearn for that type of adventure. To be out there enjoying driving through scenic landscapes without a care in the world.

The last time I hired a car I noticed an MX-5 in the pickup area. This gave me an idea for my next business trip. Combine the trip with a week holiday tacked on to the end, hire an MX-5 and drive from San Francisco to Seattle taking the coastal road. :grin:

3 Likes

I find driving my 1934 Austin Seven 65 Sports is very exciting compared to my 169 bhp Eunos.
You have to be 100 per cent switched on to get the best out of the Austin on its skinny wheels and wire rope brakes it will still do 65 MPH more downhill with a following wind.
I speed hillclimb both the Austin and the Eunos which is great fun !!!
Its very good fun to stalk a modern on a B road and actually manage to overtake it.
I often get held up by modern boxs traveling more slowly than the Austin will go.
I have suprised the local Mx5 club,when I have led a run with the Austin while my wife drove the Eunos.
I used to drive three wheeled convertable that was so low it would drive under car park barriers and I could put my hand flat on the road over the top of the drivers door. ( Berkley T60 )
I am all for sensory fun whilst driving.

1 Like

When I drove an mx5 for the first time, an nd 1.5, I thought the speedometer was not showing the true speed!
This was on a test drive with the salesman sitting next to me, I was not used to the low’go cart’ position! The sales guy kept on at me to Rev the rse off it to achieve the performance I had hoped for…
Coming from driving a re-mapped golf diesel 150bhp with oodles of torque, I realised the 2.0 litre was the one for me…not dissing the 1.5 at all , in hindsight it would have been perfectly fine as I’m yet to (and most unlikely to) be able to drive on any British roads at more than 100mph! And even then constantly checking for cameras and Police to avoid a ‘12 pointer’!
On paper, my 30Ae, is 3seconds quicker than any other car I’ve owned 0-60…but if I’m honest there has been and always will be faster cars than the’5’
It took a good few months of driving it to realise that nearly every car on the road can easily do 120mph… and most of them want to prove it to me, as I seem to pss a lot of driver off by simply being on the road! Usually sticking rigidly to speed limits
Owning an mx5, particularly the softop is about a ■■■■ of a lot more than going fast… sure the acceleration is very gratifying, but you’d look a complete pilluck thrashing away from lights only to be caught up, and then repeatedly doing it on every journey! Occasionally yes, but as a motoring strategy , not a sustainable or sane option.
I have been guilty of being too ‘hung-up’ on what performance statistics I should be achieving in my nd2, only to realise that often it can easily detract from the ‘pure pleasure’ of owning, driving and cherishing my pride and joy!

6 Likes

I took my brother in-law out for a spin in the MX-5. He’d grip the door handle and edge of the seat. He only relaxed when he saw a Fiat Punto pulling away from us. He laughed and said “ok now I know we’re not going that fast”.

3 Likes

Then I look forward to hearing all about your adventures.
The US coast drive sounds splendid. It conjurs very romantic images of beautiful blue skies, sun, sea and sand. Here’s hoping you make it happen. :+1:

1 Like

The only time of note that I relate to would be 1991, from the Midlands ( Shropshire) to the Police end-game on the A74 northbound to Scotland.
The car was my modified Capri 2.8i, fully engineered to 3.1 litres with Vulcan steel internals to easily exceed double the UK speed limits… and I should add well booted with new Avon rubber.
I had received a call from a Glasgow hospital that Mother was pegging out ( she did not till 15 years later btw) and I should try to get home ASAP.
So, I did.
Unfortunately, at 11pm on a totally empty 3 lane section, I was focused to the horizon and according to the Police who, they said, took 4 miles to catch up from their standing start as I allegedly…“cruised” past at their claimed 130+mph…at which the car (with Sierra gearbox) was sitting quite happily at it’s designed rev range.
Anyone who knows their Capris may wonder why the front wheels were still on tarmac…but it was fitted with a subtle and very effective airdam.
As far as my brain was concerned, I was doing much less, but I was wrong.
That little incident cost £350.00 and 6 points, the only points I’ve ever had bar a 35mph 5 years back SP30 in 45 years driving.
Mother, being tough Irish stock, survived her operation.

5 Likes

Wer’e all doing far, far more than 575 mph just sitting in our armchairs, happily spinning around the earth’s axis and whirling around the sun without noticing a thing.
As Einstein sort of said, its all relative…

1 Like

I intentionally avoided this fact as most people can’t really relate to it. Our speed relative to the centre of the milky way is just mind-bogglingly incomprehensible.

1 Like

When in our MX5, I constantly have to tell my wife that I am driving no faster than when I am driving our Skoda Yeti!

4 Likes

In my MX-5, the top down, window open, the sensation of speed is there at safe and legal speeds…!, or at just a little above occasionally! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, same problem.

1 Like