NA 1.6 braided hoses

1. My model of MX-5 is: __na 1.6
  2. I’m based near: __sheffield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __recommendations braided hoses
    What I’d hope was a simple upgrade has once again become a paralysis of options and issues. I’d intended buying a set of HEL braided hoses from Mx5 parts, How could I go wrong :thinking: but after reading the reviews it appears quite a few people have reported issues after a few weeks of use, mainly front hoses rubbing wheels, this seems to be as a result of them permanently deforming. I then looked at various other options, all had some or other issues ie rears not having necessary mounting, others not having the correct elbow shape into the front callipers. So please - if anyone has the perfect solution and can verify they’ve fitted and tested over a reasonable period - I’d stop being grumpy for Xmas.

I have HEL lines fitted to my NC and my motorbike plus several previous vehicles. Never had a problem and usually stories can be attributed to poor fitting and not the lines themselves.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll keep that in mind, I did wonder if people who’ve had the rubbing problem had somehow put a twist in the hose during fitting, obviously in either error or ignorance.

Mine have been on for three years with no problems. Only ones that were all stainless including end fittings and rear distribution block.
Dave

1 Like

HEL hoses do not come with the locating pin on the banjo that mounts to the calliper. I’m not aware that any replacement braided hoses do, so it is incumbent on the person fitting them to get the correct alignment. The hose that is then “wagging” about between the two fixings can be located with a loose fitting cable tie if there is concern it will rub on the tyre. All NA and NB car kits should come with the rear distribution block. The kit has normally been ordered wrong if it does not.

My old NA had braided hoses when I got it which I’m sure were good but the brake pedal feel was still not great, I solved this with a brake refresh and a decent fluid bleed. Braided hoses are good don’t get me wrong but they have their disadvantages for example there’s the alignment issue if you get it wrong, plus you can’t see any damage in the hose under the lining until it catastrophically fails, whereas rubber hoses you can see cracking or chaffing a lot earlier.
Because of the lightness of our cars a well maintained set of brakes should be more than enough on a road car, braided is great on track where you are pushing the brakes hard though and in conjunction with uprated pads, a brake m/c brace & adjustable proportioning valve can make a big difference.

That’s good info. I’m putting 2 & 2 together, but that would explain some of the issues I’ve seen on reviews i.e. wrong alignment directing hose towards wheel. Like the idea of a lose tie wrap, I’ll also consider placing some off cuts of oversized hose along length, I’m thinking that would serve 2 purposes 1) slightly weight hose to return to same position between lock to lock 2) added protection should a rub occur. Thanks, for the reply I’m feeling more confident about the out come.

You’re right, I’ve done brake upgrades on quite a few of my previous daily drives, drilled and grooved disc, DOT5 fluid, expensive pads etc. and never found myself in a situation where I’ve thought they’ve saved me from impending disaster. The flip side is that when it’s time to change failing parts you can often so called upgrade at a relatively low additional cost - I fall for it every time :confounded: