NA Suspension bushes 2021

1. My model of MX-5 is: NA
  2. I’m based near: __
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __

Hi

I’m replacing the rear suspension bushes and can’t decide on standard or aftermarket. Thinking of either a Superpro or IL Motorsport as I do t want to ruin the ride quality. The vehicle is road use only. Has anyone any experience with either of these bushes??

My experience is that when you have old worn bushes then whatever you change to will be a big improvement, particularly with new OEM. If it’s just for road use then OEM has no disadvantages apart from price. Poly or competition could end up being harsher ride.

2 Likes

I run the IL Motorsport bushes on my 1994 Eunos I am also using IL Motorsport void bushes and Engine mounts, My car has brand new OEM Bilstien shocks and springs and new top mounts.
The handling is much sharper than the original worn out ones. It does not seem to make the ride harsh either. The bushes also work as torsion dampers so the suspension bolts need to be done up with the cars weight on the hubs, the bushes twist not rotate in use.

1 Like

Go rubber, so OE or IL Motorsport.
Unfortunately more expensive but less harsh, fit and forget, unlike poly.

1 Like

I think I’ve decided to go with genuine bushes on the basis they will be better then the 24 year old ones that are on there now :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies

2 Likes

Are the Mazda bushes still available?

SuperPro all the way for me. Search on Youtube for several videos that help to explain why they are so good.

Using bushes as torsion dampers is surely the exact opposite of what you want?

My comment was more to the effect that rubber bushes have to be set up with the suspension loaded as the do not rotate like a bearing would therefore they work in torsion by twisting the rubber between the inner tube and the wishbone, that is why they are such a tight fit in the wishbone and the inner is clamped on the end of the tube. Polybushes are lubricated and work as a bearing but give a harsher ride but more accurate control of the suspension.

1 Like

Wise decision, best £400 I have ever spent on my Mk1.

Didn’t I read recently that you you have to buy complete new arms if you wat to stick with OE bushing?

The only reason for buying new arms is if yours are badly corroded or the OEM bushes are not available to buy.

My understanding is that OE bushes aren’t available to purchase separately, but that may only apply to certain ones and certain models?

Seeing as the thread title is NA Suspension bushes that is what we are talking about !
NA OEM suspension bushes are still available but some of them are over £30 each.
The price is what steers people away from them to less expensive alternatives.
There are always the Bragging rights of MY car is Polybushed just like a racecar !!! if thats your thing.
A look one one of our favorite parts sites has complete aftermarket wishbones complete with bushes for a very sensible price !!

In my experience cheap parts are usually cheap for a reason. They may fit ok but doesn’t mean they are as good as the originals or will last as long.

If I was tracking the car I wouldn’t hesitate to get the Super pro’s but as it’s a road car I don’t want to risk compromising the ride quality.