Nasty "Boing" sort of a noise when moving off

I have a brand new 2.0i Sport, just 250 miles on the clock and am a bit worried by the nasty noise that I get when pulling away … it sounds like a spring or something disengaging and I’m thinking it must be handbrake or rear-disc related.  The brakes don’t actually appear to be sticking at all, but a couple of seconds after you’ve pulled away you get this “boing” kind of a noise, seems to come from just behind the driver’s seat, so that would be about right for the offside rear disc.  You still get it (but not as bad) if you park for a short time, it’s defo worse after it’s been parked overnight. 

I called the local dealer and he says it’s “normal” but these cars.  If so, I’m a bit surprised … any help gratefully received!

Martyn

I get a loud click occasionally when pulling off or just after - I think I read somewhere it is do do with the ABS system engaging/disengaging?

ABS system self check. Nothing to worry about.

Really??  Hmmm.  Well, I could sort of understand that if it was a consistent noise, but it’s not … and it’s much less of a noise when the car has only been parked for a while rather than overnight.

For what it’s worth, I took it back to the dealers last night - fed up of it - and he said that it was probably the pad seizing on the disc.  Well, all’s I can say is that it makes a heck of a noise when it lets go. 

Martyn

Is it only when it has been raining?

If so, then it is almost certainly the (handbrake) pads rusting to the disk. Nothing to worry about, but if you can avoid it (if it is garaged, try to brake hard enough to shed any water as you go in for example) it will help prolong the life of your disks.

Ah I was under the impression that the noise was occuring under initial acceleration, the first 0-8mph. Which is the ABS as mentioned.
However, pads freeing from the disc, literally at the first movement of the wheels are … well commonplace across all disc breaks after a standstill - mostly overnight.
For instance, in the latter, my Mazda3 does it.
The ABS “thing” is well talked about on miata.net: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=289759
The above thread being one example.
Also here on the MX-5 Community Forums: http://www.mx-5.com/Community/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=24005

Thanks for the feedback on this issue. I think it must indeed be the ABS issue that’s well discussed on the threads you referred me to … you might be interested to hear that I did flag my concerns up to my local Mazda dealer [Nidd Vale in Harrogate - where I bought the car] and the service manager claimed never to have heard of the problem before. I find this difficult to believe, particularly as it appears so common. What’s so wierd about this is that some owners have never noticed this before and I would have said it’s difficult NOT to notice it …

Thanks again!

Martyn

Par for the course really - I went in the other week (to a different dealer, who are generally good so I won’t name & shame) to buy “a set of wipers for a 2003 MX5”. His response was “What’s your registration” (fair enough, even though they are all the same), followed by “Is it the front set?”.
Part of me wanted to say, no, the rear, just to see what happened, but I chose not to be an ■■■!

I’ve read similar tails of “oil filter for an MX5” - “Petrol or Diesel?”

Nearly as good as this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mazda-MX-5-90-05-REAR-Car-Seat-Cover-BNIP_W0QQitemZ380075342216QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item380075342216&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1299|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

[:D] 

But…What…How…Why…They never…Who…?

(Deep Breath)

What the hell?