Navigation for fun times

Calimoto is a good app for planning twisty routes, you have to pay for the areas you want but you can ask it for a direct route or a twisty one. Works quite well

1 Like

RogerP Club Member

Ditch the apps and do it the good 'ol fashioned way with a map or road atlas. Some years ago I wanted a road trip with our NC Roadster to visit friends in SW France using all the lovely quiet, smooth D roads. After much frustration with the internet etc, I used my Michelin map of France and a ruler from Calais to destination. Found a long string of inter connecting D roads and after an interesting evenings work, had a route typed up and ready to go. Spread it over three days travelling so we could see some scenery, found two stunning B&B locations en route and have now used it twice for beautiful and picturesque road trips. Perfect - and the satisfaction that I planned it myself.

5 Likes

Way better than BaseCamp is the earlier routing software from Garmin called MapSource. It’s getting harder to find somewhere to download it from, but worth the effort. Much simpler and more intuitive.

2 Likes

I have TomTom GO on my phone, and under Route Type I can select Winding Route. :grin::grin: Fabulous for when you’re going somewhere and have time to spare…

2 Likes

I get the convenience but really - are we so lacking in initiative that we just want to resign ourselves to entrusting an algorithm to tell us what route to take ? Fine if you just want A -B , but isn’t something missing when we passively accept what somebody else’s programming tells us to do? Scan a map to get a general idea and then just busk it , taking any turning that tempts. Using sat nav to the exclusion of all else is like only buying what Amazon suggests you’ll like, and never making a personal choice .

2 Likes

I agree. For example when we go on holiday the first half I want to take excluding motorway and the second half is by motorway. So I have to set it for the first half then pull over and set it again for the second. But as journeys like this are rare and most people simply want the most efficient way of getting from A to B this is the way satnav is designed.