NB 2.5 Roof latch not latching

Hi guys,

The roof latch on my 2.5 can be opened without depressing the button. I see that this is a fairly common problem and that there are a couple of possible fixes - filing the faces on the button or drilling and inserting a screw. However, I’ve seen on eBay that there’s a guy selling his own design of button, presumably with a bit more land on the relevant part of the button. I can of course try the established fixes, but this looked like a neat solution if it works.

I just wondered if anyone here had tried this button?

eBay item number - 303222744042

Cheers,

MarkP

I am going to try a pair. At £14 it is not too much of a gamble !

I checked the link. I don’t know if it’s just a poor photograph but on zooming in, they look really ROUGH! I fixed mine with a stainless, dome headed self tapping screw.

You have to remove and dismantle the catch anyway, whatever the fix. I found the difficult part to be getting the fixing screws undone because they are held in by very tough locking compound. Once I had the catch off, drilling a small hole and inserting a screw to replace the worn part of the button was relatively easy.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I couldn’t decide from the photo whether the new button would be of good quality or not - or even what it was made of. Hence I thought I’d ask if anyone had given them a go.

LffSam, maybe you could let us know what you think, if you ordered some?

Cheers,

MarkP

I have the same problem on my nearside catch tho’ the sun visor just about holds it in place. Have ordered a set of these so will post up what they are like when I get them.

I have not got around to ordering them yet, but will post when I do

It  took me quite a bit of time to work out what was going wrong with these catches as the button mechanism appears undamaged and with no obvious signs of wear.

The problem is quite simply the main catch flap bending out of shape when too much force exerted. It’s a subtle process but look at the base of the flap near the button and you will see the distortion. The result of this is that the end of the flap that normally locks on the button is turned down a degree or so and no longer in a square position to properly lock on the button. Too late for those with the problem although perhaps the flaps could be bent straight if nothing to lose. 

Prevention is the way forward - always use the central hand pull on the front edge of your softtop to pull/push the top into closing position and minimise the pressure on the two roof catches. 

1 Like

My new buttons arrived today. Replaced the faulty one & it latches perfectly now. Very pleased.

• that’s great to hear. Any photos?

What are the replacement buttons made of?

Cheers,

MarkP

No pics but they look much the same as the OE plastic ones.

Thanks for the update…I will get my order in soon…front wishbones on the Freelander today…headlights on the XKR tomorrow…then the Mazda !!!

There doesn’t seem to be this ebay item available any longer. Does anyone know if its listed anywhere else on ebay or elsewhere please?

They are still on there. Just do a search for mx5 roof latch.

Cheers pal found it

Need to be careful. My thoughts at

The ones I just saw on ebay say they’re ABS, but I think the originals are metal.

Oe ones are plastic. I have had these on mine for a while now with no problems.