NB Boot interior light. Where is it?

1. My model of MX-5 is: __NB 1.8i
  2. I’m based near: __Surrey
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __Boot interior light (NOT brake light or number plate lights)

They don’t have one. The number plate lamps act as the boot lamp & come on when the boot is opened. At least they do on the 2.5 anyway.

1 Like

Hi Brian. I’m pretty certain that the number plate lights also act as boot lights . I’ve just gone out to check and the lights come on when opening the boot

1 Like

They don’t come on automatically on pre-facelift cars. I think the Owner’s Manual says something like “with side light on the number plate lights will illuminate the boot space”.

Can confirm on pre face lift models you need the sidelights switch on to illuminate the number plate lights which double as boot lights when the lid is opened up.

1 Like

Many many thanks guys.
Mine is 1998-2002/3 so it would be pre face lift (2003 on)
As you’ve kindly confirmed then, unless sidelights are turned on from inside car - no light will show.

I’ve used a £4.99 Led light magnetic for simple use-. But in my pics there’s a ’ push switch ’ on the edge of boot lid. I pressed it down but nothing changed or did anything -
Thought it might be an alarm but I was told it wouldn’t be. Anyone know what that little switch is for?

Probably the alarm. The boot light, where fitted is activated from a micro switch on the boot catch. You can remove the trim and see it plus there will be 2 x wires going to the switch.
There is also a relay located in the front of the boot behind the trim and next to the fuel tank behind the passenger seat. Bit of a ■■■■■■ to get to.
I think they started fitting boot (number plate lights that double up) lights from late 2002 onwards.
My early 2002 NBFL doesn’t have boot lights.

I have that switch and it is for the alarm on mine.

I swapped my 2.5 number plate lights for LED version which are brighter. now the boot is well illuminated. As described they switch on when you open the boot.

Just realised I don’t use the alarm generally, because when I did use it I couldn’t turn it off when it triggered one day.
I had to press both buttons at same of I remember.
I should use it if it’s there.
Cheers.,:+1::+1: