NB new bbs Wheels fitted slight noise

Hi.
My old OEM alloys were beyond refurbing.
New BBS Wheels ordered from Mx5 city
Original 15" are 40mm
BBS 15" are 35mm. Mx5 city said will fit OK without adjusting.

Since fitted a week ago by local Tyre and Wheel garage…(fitted straight on without any adjustments needed) there’s a very sight whine from back right wheel. Garage Re checked all wheels and think it’s because abs sensor is very close on that rear wheel and may be slightly rubbing.
Doesn’t give any noise in reverse though.If I turn the radio on you can’t hear the noise. Ha!
Any thoughts - or is it not a serious problem.?
To me it’s a concern though.
Hope everyone is ok

IIRC I had to replace a wheel bearing on an NB so something else to potentially eliminate, timing could be coincidental.

If ABS sensor is suspected I’d be having the wheels off for an investigation as otherwise you’ll likely have an ABS issue quite soon…

Are the tyres directional, would the wheels go on opposite sides to see if the whine transfers/disappears?

Thanks for quick reply Ian.
All good points you mentioned, so will swap wheels at back first. Those additional points will be taken in too -
Its due for MOT in June and now retired can spend more attention and time car.
Still enjoy it after owning 4 years on.
Will update if it’s made a difference.
Cheers and keep well.

1 Like

I’d have thought if there was any fouling, there would be tale-tale abrasions inside of the rim?

Thanks for info.
Car has been driving fine and noise was not there before new wheels were put on just recently and hardly driven it much since of course.

Just discovered Re the slight noise from back wheel… When I apply brakes the noise stops immediately.! So does that mean when they fitted the new wheels on… one of them is touching a brake disc slightly?

(I’m not a mechanic but feel like sorting out certain tasks within reason.)

I am no mechanic either but could it be something as daft as the wheel needs tightening properly? If the wheel is slightly loose it will move around as if the rotor is out of balance.

Just an update and thanking for the tips.
Wheels assembled on tight and correct.
But will be having new brakes and discs all round fitted( plus a couple brake cables becoming suspect) so will ask mechanic to check this noise.