NC 2010 Folding hardtop creaking

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2010__NC
  2. I’m based near: __Sheffield
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __I have just purchased a 2010 retractable hardtop version. When the top is on it creaks really loud on the O/S only where it pegs in. Is there any adjust to rectify this as its driving me mad.
    Regards
    Paulcbrxx

Mine has been doing the same since I cleaned and treated all the seals, it’s bloody annoying! I’ve had a look on here before, and there seem to be a few options. Greasing the pegs, or wrapping some electrical tape round them to get a tighter seal, or adjusting the roof clamp to reduce the gap between the front edge of the roof and the windscreen surround. I may have forgotten something, I’m sure someone else will be along soon to give some advice. I’m going to try greasing the pegs first, I’ll let you know how I get on.

Thanks Tugboat for your prompt advice.

No worries! Just had another search on here, seems lubricating the slots that the pegs locate into is also worth a try. That’s one thing I haven’t done yet. I don’t think I’ll be able to try it today, it’s currently chucking it down outside!

Cheers,

Andrew.

Turm the adjuster in a full turn, fixed mine. There is a guide somewhere, search and ye shall find.

1 Like

Adjust the centre latch
It’s easy enough, but try not to unhook the spring at the top as it’s tricky to replace :+1:t3::+1:t3:
Good luck :wink:

1 Like

Wow, thanks to you all for the great advise & the pdf Mc Trucky looks a possible Perminant resolution.

Looks like I need to buy myself some circlip pliers and Loctite!

Grease all the contact areas should sort it,it did mine .

I have read in the past that using the ‘soft’ side of velcro (the self adhesive type) stuck into the location tabs also works, though I have never had cause to use this method

Hiya McTrucky
Just to let you know your recommendation worked a treat. No noise from roof at all.
Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

Perfect!
:slight_smile:

I tried to do the same to mine at the weekend, but the circlip pliers I bought for the job were too big!

Its quite awkward with circlip pliers, I used a flat head screwdriver & worked it off slowly. If it breaks new circlips are pennies.
Good luck.

Did you have screws on either side of the plastic cover? I couldn’t see any, just wondering if there were changes on the different NC versions.

No the cover just slides off. The pin holds it in place.

2 Likes

Excellent, thanks. I thought I was just being blind!

Well, I managed to borrow a set of circlip pliers small enough to dismantle the roof latch and get it adjusted. Silence is golden! So chuffed!

1 Like

Great with no creaking isn’t it.:grin:

1 Like

Amazing! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: