NC cobalt exhaust install

The flange is welded on the midpipe, not sure what else I can do other than order a new mid pipe. Mx5 parts sell a repair section for about £60

Ahhh, the problem.
Looking at your pictures looks like you have a round after market Cat installed as well?
Standard pipe has resonator and cat in the mid pipe.
Plenty of people have replaced the mid pipe with aftermarket ones, so there should be loads lying around.
Not sure where you live, but I know skuzzle motor sport had one or 2.
Sure Rodder’s will have some too, (and others).
So you could either replace that mid section or have a bit cut off and joined to yours and it will then fit.
Also you could take your Cobalt box and pictures to a good exhaust fitter who will give you a good answer and solution.
IF it was me I would go to a “GOOD” exhaust fitter and explain the problem.
I’m sure they will cut that bit off and make a small piece to fit.
More than likely cheaper too.
The current travelling restrictions might limit your progress at the moment though.
The effort will be worth it!

I still think there’s a crush washer still on that spigot making it look like it has a larger diameter.
I’m getting my same year 2007 sport out of the garage very soon, I’ll measure the spigot for comparison.:+1:

1 Like

Exciting times these…
Just looked at mine.
The OEM standard mid pipe connecting flange (as previous photos) has a “PRESSED STEEL” flange welded to the pipe.
Looking at your pictures, you have a “SOLID STEEL” flange welded to the pipe.
If you get my drift.
Therefore, very different and will never fit, (In my opinion of course).

Picture of mine, make sense?

2 Likes

Ok sorted mine ready for refitting the Cobalt back.
Crush washer ordered…
The ID 56mm
The OD 60mm.
Measurements approx for my old bones to get under there and do precise measurement. And yes it’s a pressed steel flange. Hope this helps…

And edit… The Cobalt flange opening is 60mm. If you also spot on the midpipe flange it has a recess to accept the crush washer, so therefore both surfaces should mate up flush when torqued up.

I’ve been attacking it with a wire wheel on the end of my drill to see if I could clean the rust up, but there is no way that the mid pipe will fit onto my box with that bit sticking out the end, it’s far to wide.

I was thinking the first thing might be to cut off that end bit so it’s flush with the flange and get a new gasket.

As previously stated my original standard back box wasn’t even fitted correctly. So not sure why that mid pipe was even put on.

It’s not my daily driver so I’m in no rush.

Gasket came today, perfect fit and Cobalt mated up ok. Mine has a slight gap at the flanges but not blowing. I’m going to get better access to it later but for now job done.

Looks good mate :+1:,

I’ve ordered a new gasket myself. I’m going to see how mine fits up once I’ve cut off the extra bit from my midpipe. Failing that, it’s order a repair section or take it to a local garage to sort out.

1 Like

Hi there - new to the club so hope I’m doin this right?
Just trying to get a grip on considering replacing my 2010 NC back box, looking through various threads Cobolt seems to be the way to go?
Does anybody know if there is any issue getting through an MOT with the Cobolt? they advise they are not TUV approved - don’t want to fork out only to have an issue…

1 Like

Absolutely not a problem here, it’ll be going in for it’s 4th test with the Cobalt on in August.:+1:

I looked into doing the same. Cobalt exhausts for NC not currently available. Moss told me they won’t be for some time.
I went with a GOPERFORM back box today instead.

Agreed with MickAP, the Cobalt no issues whatsoever. :+1:
Re the Go Perform- Sorry to say I got rid of mine pronto in favour of the cobalt.
Rather too “loud and drones” for me, (looks nice) a matter for your good self.

Wow! Many thanks appreciate the input - I think I will wait a while for Moss - seems Cobolt are coming up with a replacement to previous offering?

Please bear in mind that is “just my opinion” on the GP one.
The “Drone” just really drove me mad in particular on the motorway, (hood up or down).
We came back from up North last year and it really made my mind up.
It was gone the next week.
I have read others have the same opinion.
I like the louder sports car sound, but…

Yes, it would appear Cobalt are doing a modified one and lets hope they get it on sale ASAP. :+1:

1 Like

Not a problem mate. Sound is very subjective. If the Cobalt had been available I may have had one, but the emails I received said the new one won’t be around for a while yet.
Have to say, we came back partly via the motorway today. No booming at all. Obviously it’s louder than stock, but that’s to be expected and kind of the point imo.

1 Like