NC completely dead, electrically

Think my battery went completely flat , I have charged it with CTEK charger but there is still nothing showing on the mileage LCD and no lights come on when I turn the key.
Is there some sort of reset that I need to do, do I need to disconnect and then reconnect the battery and it so how do I do that?
Any other suggestions?

Sounds as though you have a poor connection between battery posts and clamps.
Multimeter across pos and neg ‘posts’ you should have around 12.3v.
Multimeter across pos ‘post’ and neg clamp again 12.3v.
Multimeter across pos and neg clamps, 12.3v.
Multimeter across pos clamp and chassis earth 12.3v.
If all this is ok come back to us.

Long time no see…how you doing.
Dave.

1 Like

Get the battery tested
Has the battery just died, has the car been used recently or laid up for winter?
Have you checked for water ingress, it can play havoc if it gets into the electrics and as said battery connections ok?

1 Like

Addition: check voltage as soon as you get the car running. Voltage with car running should be around 14 volts. If it’s much lower your alternator is dead or dieing.

1 Like

Did the ctek indicate the battery was fully charged?

Did you charge it in-situ or outside the car?

1 Like

??? Am i missing something?..

Thanks for all your replies, (am good thanks Dave!! ) Not really been out in the car much, hence the issues!!
I charged it while still in the car as I have done before and the CTEK had gone onto maintenance mode so I assumed it was fully charged!
It is still the original battery so it’s probably knackered!

Changed the original battery in my 2010 MX5 last year. It was still doing its job but decided to err on the side of caution.
Old battery is still sitting in my garage and was used two weeks ago to jump start my diesel Volvo!

Richard.

I have a Mk2. Recently everything was dead when trying to start car in the morning. I assumed it was the battery which was at least 10 years old. Wrongly, without checking, I just replaced the battery. About a week later the electrics were completely dead once more. Checked by an auto electrician who stated that the new battery was faulty and the alternator was working correctly. Obtained another brand new battery and the same thing happened. It turned out that it was the alternator which was at fault all along even though it was giving correct readings.

1 Like

So I removed the battery from the car (losing one of the retaining bar rods in the process!!!)
Charged it with the CTEK outside the car and then reinstalled it and the car has fired up no probs.
Must not have connected the CTEK correctly in the car I think!
I will get the battery (and alternator) checked soon

The battery needs to be able to hold a charge as well as take a charge, so check what charge you have after a day or two.