NC Head unit not working after reinstallation

1. My model of MX-5 is: 06 NC 2.0 PRJT
  2. I’m based near: Lancashire
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on:

So my NC came with a Parrot hands-free kit which I’ve attempted to uninstall. From a manual I found online I think I’ve removed it all (there are two ‘line in’ wires on the diagram and I think I only have one yellow ‘line in’ wires) however when I started the car, the audio system wouldn’t work turn on/no display/no sound.

I’ve had a look at the back of the head unit and there’s a few connectors and I’m not sure which I need to keep in and which to take out. Any ideas?

Is that the original head unit, looking like it is, and does it have a disc changer unit in the centre of it?
I’m just guessing here, you may need to trace that wiring loom that disappears into the dash and find the original connection block which is connected to that loom with the black connection blocks that you hold in the pic.

Stating the obvious, does the head unit have a fuse? Most do.
Also the fuse in the car for the audio (passenger footwell).
Based on the fact you have no power at all.

Yes, original non bose with CD player.

So on another forum someone attached a schematic diagram which supports your idea, I think the original connector I need is further back and is connected to the right hand connector which joins the black connector I was holding. I will look further tomorrow.

The 20A audio fuse isn’t blown

Roger that.
Not the 7.5 ACC rated fuse which covers the audio etc system?
Which is fuse number 1
Also as you say the 20 amp fuse number 10 also covers the audio.
Just trying to help as you have no power at all and only removed the hands free kit. Therefore, in my opinion the unit should in theory still power up as before.
Anyway hope it all works out in the end. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

So I tried the 20A audio, 7.5 ACC aren’t blown.

I think that because the black connector isn’t connected to anything perhaps the system won’t power on as it thinks there is an open circuit.

1 Like

I think there’ll be a patch loom connected between the OE harness and the head unit, trace it back and remove it so the head unit plugs straight into the OE loom. The black connector in your first photo isn’t factory.

So I’ve just found the original white connector which is covered in black tape which matches most of the other wiring behind the head unit.

So I think it should work, however I can’t get the other white connector out. Any ideas?

Sorted it thank you everyone, there was another cable connected to the unit, the original was further back unused, connnected the original and it’s working great.

2 Likes

That’s good. :+1: