NC1 2.0 Sport - Bluetooth Hands Free or New Head Unit?

1. My model of MX-5 is: 2008 NC1 2.0 Sport
  2. I’m based near: Reading
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: Hands free phone

So I have a stock NC1 with Bose Stereo which works fine, but I’m planning to use the car more as a daily driver than a toy going forwards so I could do with a decent hands free phone setup.

Would appreciate practical advice on whether to go for a back of the unit adaptor, a Parrot or similar or a complete new head unit.

Thanks in advance,

I got one of these things

To be honest I was thinking of something a bit more expensive! Does it work ok without a microphone near the driver’s face?

Works fine :man_shrugging::white_check_mark:

I have something similar that works really well.
It streams my music from phone to car stereo with great quality, works as hands free for the phone and powers the phone when using it as satnav, which plays instructions through car speakers as well.
I do have an aux in socket though.
I doubt using fm transmission will give the same quality.

Tbh, touchscreen head units are really easy to install once you get to grips with it, if you want all your music/Bluetooth trickery resolved into one unit. That’s exactly what I did with mine, with the wee microphone strapped onto the steering wheel column in front of the instrument cluster with the wire squirrelled away behind the dash. I suppose it really comes down to whether you want a small mobile unit you can remove as required and maintain the classic style of the interior or if you want to modernise and upgrade? Think it just comes down to personal preference on this one, I reckon :woman_shrugging:

I’ve got my NC2 booked on for an Alpine bolt on unit , this one specifically

It’s 249 quid fitted

I’ll post a review when it’s done

I replaced the head unit in my NC1. It wasn’t BOSE.
By doing so I got Bluetooth, hands free phone, DAB Android car which allows me to display maps from my phone and better audio interface.

So what unit did you have installed?

Change the head unit, the other solutions will work but not effectively. Done several of the MK3/ 3.5 units and tried several solutions but only really found a head unit change effective. Im nearby in Woodley if you want help or hints about changing

I initially installed a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB but later swapped that out for a Kenwood DMX5020DABS. The Kenwood is a lot shallower than the Pioneer so is an easier and better fit as the depth is a bit tight in he NC.

Thanks Harco, sure I will meet up with you at some point as we can’t be more than three miles apart.

What I’m trying to understand at the moment is whether a budget head unit will do the job or whether I have to spend proper money? The Kenwood and Pioneer units mentioned by MakP63 are £350 - £400 and really are at the top end of my budget…

I think there are some budget Chinese head units on Amazon. I’d rather spend a bit more for something where I know the brand and tend to have good backup.

I can’t argue with the principle of that, I’m just not sure how much cash I can splash

If you can wait I’d keep looking for offers. Car audio centre does some offers every do often.

1 Like

Have fitted all sorts high end and budget but it really depends on your needs. The bluetooth will work regardless as most come with an external mic you fit where you want, however the real difference comes mostly with the type of interface on the unit and importantly the type of screen. I found a lot of cheaper models cant be seen very well once the sun is out and the roof down. Suggest a quick trip to John Kleis (basingstoke road) to have a chat with them about screens. Dont forget because your BOSE you will need adaptors

1 Like

So I got this as a short term measure and it’s really quite good
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07T9BSZ1K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Me again, and back on the subject of head unit upgrades - looking for the latest advice please.

My use of the 5 has flip flopped a couple of times in the past two years, but it’s now back to being a toy, albeit one that does a few long trips (NC500 coming up soon).

So I have decided I need to upgrade the head unit to double din with android auto and bluetooth phone connectivity.

What’s the hive mind view on doing this economically, but without wishing I’d spent more please?