NC1 Foglights

Hi - Anyone got a set of front fog lights for an early NC they’d like to sell and be willing to post to central Scotland? Light/indicator stalk too but not essential. Happy to collect if fairly local.

Cheers, Matt

For the avoidance of doubt they are useless as additional lighting, no improvement over the existing headlights.

They were standard on the my Mk3 Sport.

Therefore cosmetics only but it may well be now under the latest MOT regs that they must work if fitted.

Something for you to check Matt.

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. 

I was aware of the RX8 stalks (I have the wiper one) but not about the CX7 fog lights, or how cheap the housings/surrounds were from Mazda. I’ll certainly have a look into that.

Cheers,

Matt

have you considered DRL’s instead? They would make your grey five more visible on the road. Bringing the spec more up to date…

There’s the ones on mx5 parts that combine drls with fogs on mx5 parts. There are much cheaper options. Check out Bettabuilders postings.

Merry xmas

Hi all,

For anyone this might be useful for, I decided to go down the standard foglight route. RX8 foglights are identical to the MX5 ones and much cheaper. 

I bought new surrounds from MX5 Parts (£35), pair of used lights and RX8 stalk from ebay (£20 & £15 respectively), so total cost £70. Substantially cheaper that used sets on ebay 

Cheers,

Matt

Quite, all I’ve ever done with fog lights is replace them after they’ve been smashed by stones thrown up by other vehicles.  Modern headlights work fine in fog.

But, please, not the old ‘if it’s fitted it must work’ internet myth.  Front Fog lights are only checked on vehicles first used on or after after March 2018. Reference: Mot testers manual section 4.5.4.

if retro fitted to an older vehicle, then they are clearly not subject to MOT testing.

JS

But the purpose of fog lights isn’t to give an “improvement over the existing lights”, is it?

The purpose of front fog lights, as I understand it, if they are properly adjusted, is to illuminate the edge of the pavement on the nearside and the centre lines on the offside just in font of the vehicle. They are designed to be used in conditions of severely reduced visibility (e.g. thick fog) where normal headlights are of no use.

As a rule of thumb, if you’re travelling at much more than 10mph, then (good, properly adjusted) front fog lights should provide no benefit whatsoever.

Philip

As I clearly stated I found them of “no improvement over the existing headlights”

To be further clarify my statement, the foglights fitted to the NC1 did not improve lighting of the area to the near side or front or the offside of the vehicle at speeds below 10 mph, when used with the vehicles existing headlights switched on or when the foglights were used with the headlights switched off.

Further these lights these days to be used in pairs while in use, the pre I believe 1994 or was it 1984 regulations allowed them to be used as a sigle light. I assume these modern regulations are to show to oncoming drivers that the vehicle in front has the width of approx the distance between these lights.

The old regultions were in the days of the days of the fog light to the nearside of the car and the spot light to the offside of the car.

I remember something like that too, having fitted assorted extras over the years to supplement weedy original lights on my many old bangers.

On a side note, back in the 1960/1970s I used to commute along the old A4 between working in London and back to Bristol for the weekend (Before M4). My Farnham Estate Mk2 Zodiac’s front bumper accumulated various extra lights and was eventually tidied up and fitted with a pair of Raydot three-in-one lights, spot, dip/flood, fog, with three filaments in two bulbs, the fog being yellow light.  I seem to remember it was a bit like a normal headlight with the second hole for the fog bulb near where a sidelight might normally be, but the optics of the reflector were quite cunning and the main bulb was a special I was unable to replace when the spot filament failed on one.  The spots were fantastic at midnight on an empty A4 heading across the downs above Newbury, they lit up the road and country for miles.  The wiring and switches were a real nightmare, and a pain when having to dip/off the spot.

Matt

I bought a set last year for my 2006 NC1 in Galaxy grey & am really pleased with how they improve the look over the standard blanks.

I bought mine used via this forum for £90 inc the bezels & stalk & got a local garage to fit them although I believe there simple to fit as all the wiring is already in place.

I believe some of RX stalks also offer variable intermittent wipe too which would another nice to have addition.

As Mark mentioned earlier in this thread you could consider DRL’s too but obviously there’s a price to pay.

Good luck with your search

Neil 

Thanks Neil - all fitted (as per previous post) in about an hour, along with the stalk. Got what I wanted, cheaply, so I’m happy.