ND Bose door speaker works intermittently

1. My model of MX-5 is: __ 2021 ND 1.5 Sport Roadster
  2. I’m based near: __ Warwick
  3. I’m looking for technical help or recommendations on: __RH Door Speaker intermittent ?

Hi there,
My car is 6 months old. It may have always been like this, but today I realised the driver side door speaker only works intermittently. On low volume it doesn’t work at all, then as you increase the vol, it starts to work, then stops .?.

It’s the Bose System with speakers in the headrests.

I’ve isolated to that speaker or amp output channel, by playing around with the balance and front rear fade.

Obviously I’ll be phoning the dealer tomorrow, but if anyone else has had a similar problem would be good to know. I may be able to point them in the right direction.

Ps: Had a great drive on the Warwickshire Fosse Way today, exchanged waves with a lovely RF 30AE. I was listening to the cricket, but suspect I only got half the commentary :wink:

Hi there,

I think we have exactly the same problem, it was pointed out to the dealer on our service last month, but we couldn’t re-create it. With the info you’ve provided I will have a look this week to see it I get the same problem on low volume

1 Like

Hi @tooslow if I turn the balance all the way to the right and fader to the front it’s easy to prove, it’s all or nothing depending upon the volume setting :wink: would be good if you can confirm it’s the same or similar. Thanks…

Will hopefully have a look Thursday
Many thanks

2 Likes

Hi there,
I’ve tried and can’t recreate it unfortunately. Ours seems very intermittent and took us a long time to confirm it was drivers door and not just the ‘music’ so to speak
It’s a pain as get the feeling the dealer doesn’t want to proceed far unless they see/hear the problem

We’re pondering as to whether we should take the door panel off and check for the obvious

Nigel

Probably the easiest solution. May just be a loose wire (as you say the obvious). Just be careful you do not break any clips when removing the panel! If it is not where the wire joins the speaker, it suggests it could be the head unit end, which is a bigger issue, from an access point of view and a fixing it point of view too…

1 Like

I can easily recreate the problem fortunately and am booked into the dealer next week to let them have a look.

1 Like

Thanks,
Yep slow and easy I guess. Just hope it’s something there and like you say not the head unit end

1 Like

Hope they sort it, be interested in the fix

1 Like

Good luck!!

2 Likes

Well @tooslow and @Snelly , I thought I’d give it one last go before I took it to the dealers next Tuesday. I found a post on here about someone’s ND satnav playing up but was cured by a factory reset on the infotainment system. So that’s what I did and it now the door speaker works perfectly!

I’ve had to pair my phone again and store the radio stations again but no issue.

Strangely it now automatically starts playing the radio station last used when I turn the ignition on. Whereas before it annoyingly needed to be selected. I’d presumed that’s how it worked … but now it behaves like any other car radio !..

So @tooslow try resetting your system to see if your issue goes away ? Below is the screen containing the factory reset.

Before anyone deduces I had set it up wrong, I doubt there’s a setting to randomly turn off and on the drivers door speaker :wink:

Cheers… Rich

3 Likes

Great result!!! surprising though…

1 Like

No I can’t really get my head around it either … however I’ll take the result ! One thought Is that I suspect the Bose system is highly sophisticated and processes the sound partly based on cabin acoustics and ambient noise so very much a product of the software that powers it :thinking: as an IT guy we’re always turning things off and on anyway and you’d be surprised how many times it works …

2 Likes

I agree - I would say that for IT systems, in my experience, a reboot fixes 90% of issues. The other 10% are generally far more serious!

1 Like

Hi thanks,

Have tried this, but as problem not currently happening, will have to wait and see if it’s made any difference

1 Like