Nd gearbox reliabilty

Hi guys
I was looking into getting a nd mx5 down the line but have heard horror story’s about the gearbox and that there 5 revisions?
Just wondering did the revisions seem to sort it and if so from what particular year would be safe.
Thanks for the help

Hello and welcome.

Lots of noise on the subject, main incidences on earliest models were related to cars used in track or motorsport situations, some people got through several boxes, also mostly on 2l cars.

On day to day road use the incidence of failure is very small.

As far as I’m aware Mazda have not balked at replacing any failures on cars not used in a Motorsport environment. You could argue that Mazda promotes the MX-5 as a motorsport platform however that’s only an issue if you intended to use one in that way.

The ND2 facelift car has a number of changes in the driveline including a dual mass flywheel and I’m not aware of a single incidence of failure reported.

The ND has been out in the UK since Autumn 2015 and if there was a significant problem in general use it would be well documented with factual examples.

1 Like

Hi J22b
I have a 2017 2.0 ND and my gearbox is absolutely fine and i have had no issues with the car at all. Good luck in your search but my advise try a couple of cars and test from cold.

Andrew

I have someone bringing me a car from Essex tomorrow on a car transporter with a blown gearbox. Yes the later cars are better because they make less torque and as above a DMF

I’ve had my ND SE-L Nav 1.5l since 27 August 2015 and I’ve not had any problems.

1 Like

@rodders - has a warranty repair been approached for this one or are there different circumstances?

That’s postive to hear specially as it’s a early model do you mind me asking have you much mileage on it yet :slightly_smiling_face:

All I know is someone/garage stripped it and now it’s with me in kit form lol

If you don’t mind me asking why does the dmf help compared to the solid flywheel what year did the dmf start being fitted would u know :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer the internet that’s relieving to hear it’s not nearly as common as it’s made out to be on the rest of the internet

DMF and lower torque both give the gear an easy life…

I think its more common than is being portrayed here, I know of several individuals who have had theirs fail, none of them have been on a track.