ND or NC - can't decide

I’ve had two NCs.

On launch of ND I pre-ordered one and then borrowed demo car for a few hours. Went back and cancelled my ND order and bought a later, low mileage NC. BTW the later NC (3.5) is so much better than the previous (3.0) model. Both 2 litre.

Yes, there are some advances in the ND but for me it is just TOO small (not even a glovebox), no folding hardtop (the later ND hardtop doesn’t provide a true convertible experience) and, frankly, while beauty is in the eye of the beholder I really don’t like the ND styling: it looks too high at the front and too narrow at the back. The Italians made a much better job of the styling!

My NC doesn’t get nearly enough use but when it does I still love it. I’ve had numerous 2 seater convertibles almost continuously since 1976 and this is one of the best. I wish I still had some of the others though, if only for investment reasons - that AH 3000 would be worth £50k+ now!

My NC lives in a heated garage and rarely gets wet but even then the underside is coated in superficial rust - this really isn’t good enough these days.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Take a look at these comments on the NC back in 2005, being compared to the NA/NB. I 'm not sure it’s of much help to let people know you don’t like the styling, we can all make our own mind up on that.

I owned an NC for 14 years and traded it for an ND2 in 2021. In the cockpit, it feels no smaller, probably more roomy. Externally it is shorter and wider.
The ND is a far better car than the NC, as you’d expect. As well as modern stuff like auto lights and wipers, I Stop, cruise control, overtake warnings etc etc it’s also a better drive.
Why would you want ‘more of the same’ (another NC’) when you can have the newer car?
And of course the ND is a looker while the NC has a dated boaty look.

2 Likes

Yeah, it does make the car accelerate very well tbf. It’s just a Shame they never really rectified it

I have to disagree. The ND interior is so cramped inside in comparison to the nc. If you had a stock nc then yeah it will be a massive upgrade. They’re getting old now and need work done

For what the nd costs you can get a very nice example nc2 with a manifold and map and a few other goodies that completely transform it The engine feels so alive in it, not only that but the gearbox in the nc is so much better, gears are a little long but it’s rated up to around 400bhp.

I also find the nc a lot more planted in the corners due to its size, i find the nd a little more twitchy and you really have to be careful how you go even though it probably is quicker.

Just two very different driving experiences

The early NC was quite a different-looking car to the NC2. More like a bar of soap at the front, and those regrettable Lexus-style lights that made it look like a Halfords boy racer special.

I can’t find much to criticise about the NC2, and I like the MZR engine with its port injection. The ND, being newer, will have less rust. Nothing else makes me want to “upgrade”.

As others have said go with ND if comfortable. If you are set on 2.0. Hold on 74k not bad; wait til you can get in a 184bhp - big difference in feel from higher rev range.

How strange that you find the ND more cramped than the NC when I found the extra cabin width made it less cramped. And the fully adjustable height and reach steering wheel is a big improvement in cabin comfort, too. Mine is a soft top - maybe the RF (Targa top) is different?

I had an NC 3.75 now have RF. Cant say it feels much more cramped but I had a gap in between so memory may fail me…plus I’m 5’ 8" reviews do say check fit if you are getting on for 5’10". Should also say I am an amputee but still find fit fine for my prosthesis

I notice NC 158 didn’t scare me in the wet 184 RF with bbr exhaust does command a bit more respect…which I like it’s just enough

1 Like

Not strange at all. Ive owned 2 of each and have both now, the nd is so much more cramped inside in every aspect. When i get in the nc its so much more refined if that makes sense, not in terms of tech or features.

Agree lot of weight came out of ND so it is a bit more raw in terms of refinement…horses for courses makes ND more connected

There’s only one thing I find not as good in the ND compared to NC - steering feel. The ND is VERY good, almost up there with the NC in that respect, but not quite. There was a bit more feedback in the NC, and the ND can feel a bit ‘dead’ around the straight-ahead position (electric rack compared to hydraulic I guess).
But in every other respect the ND is a better car. I certainly find it no less refined than my NC, except perhaps my NC had the electric hard roof so was perhaps a little quieter at motorway speeds, roof up.
So why did I buy a soft top ND rather an RF? Because I tried the RF and found it did not give the true ‘open air’ ambience of the soft top - it’s really a Targa Top, whereas my old NC Roadster was a true open car with the top down.

1 Like

Targa pretty close with windows down and window jammer out…but yes would always choose rag top first …but very annoyingly they removed the auto option for the rag top with introduction of ND so people like me lost choice hey Ho. Undersealing ND helps dampen road noise abit apparently - booked in for March.

Just moved up from NC to ND. Mine is a ‘19 1.5. It has all the open air attributes of the NC in a modern car. All the performance you need with a fab engine/ gearbox combo and modern aids to keeping you and your licence safe on todays roads. The ND is not perfect, and you will have to get used to using the boot as a glove box! Mine feels a bit skittish on the road ( new tyres due) and the the ‘gram strategy’ means some of the interior seems a bit flimsy and the paint is a bit thin. But, hey, roof down, open road in front of you and …

Absence of a glove box was a concern until I owned an ND2 2.0. I realised that all I used the glove box on my NC for was to house the manual. That goes into the rearward-facing glove box in my ND, together with various other bits and bobs.
Interior trim is (I’d say) better quality than the NC, and all marks of MX5 (at least from NB onwards in my experience - I never owned an NA) is pretty thin.
Get a 2.0 ND2 - 185bhp makes a big difference, and you get Bilstein’s and an LSD, leather heated seats etc.

You definately notice how much they were trying to save weight. Can’t beat the nc steering though and 8k revs in mine

having owned an 08 Nc, then changing for a new ND, then changing that for a 25AE NC. I have a couple of pounts to add. I agree that the ND is far superior engine/economy/driveability as you would expect but is also cramped compared to the NC. We found the ND seats uncomfortable after 100 miles or so which made our 300 mile trips to Scotland less pleasant than in our NC. I also need to keep 5 pairs of glasses in the car (driving, sunglasses etc for myself and my wife) and the lack of a glove box on the ND is a real problem as access to the rear cubby is blocked by the cupholder so to change glasses etc stopping is essential. I also had a soft top ND and changing to the 25AE got me back in a folding hardtop which I prefer.

My Wife and I have recently changed our 2 x 1.8 nb’s for just the one 1.5 nd, we were both reluctant to say good-bye to our old cars, It did take a lot searching to find the right nd, I have’nt really driven it far since we collected it in Nov '23 mainly due to the weather. The Wife really loves it after owning her nb for 18 years, those cupholders do get in the way the drivers one has now been relegated to one of the cubby holes, changing cd’s is a passenger only task. Now having to get used to a Sat Nav etc. Never even considered a nc.

Pop your music onto a USB, saves space and passenger gymnastics. For the future consider getting Carplay/Android Auto which gives you access to free maps.

Looks like the OP has disappeared :flushed: