Nd rear hub carrier bushes

My thoughts are if I go for polybush/bearing spherical replacement only then sooner or later I will be back to replace other bushes as they fail.
Or are the Camber and Toe-in bush/bearings the only ones that will fail?

I’m not sure. I don’t know the ins and outs of it, but someone will probably be along who does.

So inspection reveals the rear hub carriers on both sides have movement, although one is quite a bit worse than the other. So it looks like I’m in the market for some bearings/bushings, anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Hi C,
If you are out of warranty first I would see what Mazda will do as a good will gesture.
Then you have these Polybush Rear Hub Upper & Lower Lateral Arm Bushes, MX5 Mk4 & RF (mx5parts.co.uk) and here Rear Hub, MX5 Mk4 & RF (mx5parts.co.uk)
If you are near Sheffield Roddisons will sort it for you.
:heart:

1 Like

Cheers Malc, the car is with Rodders as I type, he said to try getting the bearing online. The car is 6 years old and hasn’t seen a Mazda dealer in a few years so doubtful I’d get any help from Mazda UK.

As a guide to others the upgrade bush/bearing can be ordered directly from Polybush at MX5 MK4 Polyurethane Suspension Bushes & Components - Polybush they are 27AL BLUE at £148.77 +VAT

Many thanks for the link. You are in good hands so sit back and relax! Or get some overtime in to pay the bill!!!

They are the same price as MX5parts so when they have a 10% off promotion there could be a saving to be had.

1 Like

Does anyone here have any experience of either the Polybush or Andy Leslie’s spherical bearings for the rear hub carrier? There’s quite a price difference between them and technically they seem quite different so I’d be interest on how this affects the ride and handling as well as longevity.

Personally, if anything, I’d be more concerned about how a different bush material or design affects the angle of the hub through the length of the suspension travel (if at all, full droop to full compression) as this could compromise drivability, stability and handling, and in the case of using a solid replacement, feed different loads through the remaining rubber bushes. Ride/nvh would be a secondary consideration.
There’s probably a good reason Mazda designed it the way they did.

Overdrive:- “There’s probably a good reason Mazda designed it the way they did”.

Going back to the suggestion by my independent garage that I could just replace the worn rubber bushes with poly sphericals and asking if there would be any pitfalls in this approach.

The response from Overdive suggests possible pitfalls.
I still concerns me that I if I go for a mix of rubber and polybush/spherical replacement then sooner or later I will be back to replace other bushes as they fail.

Expensive original hub carriers that maintain the drive/ride feel in the knowledge that in another 30k miles the experience is repeated?
Never the less this might be the experience anyway if existing rubber bushes fail at some point after replacement of current worn parts with poly, followed by decisions time again.

Love the car and probably prepared to spend to maintain it, but not sure I would recommend anyone buy a new or used ND if this will problem will be encountered in what is a relatively short time.

Makes your choice and pays your money I suppose.

1 Like

The way multi link rear suspension works is is really complicated because the loads are applied to the bushings in so many different directions,and many differing scenarios.
Manufacturers use voids and differing compound bushes to make sure the hub moves the way they want it to, ie when being compressed up the hub may twist to give more toe to aid stability, however if a side load is applied at the same time, when cornering for example, the extra toe may be cancelled out, to aid cornering or turn in, which again can be varied depending if the wheel is transmitting power or braking ie trying to move forwards/backwards as it moves the weight of the car. It’s a sort of load related passive rear wheel steering, a real black art, and far above my capabilities.

1 Like

Andy Leslie’s spherical bearing copies the Mazda design but uses a superior spherical bearing and better seals which will ensure a longer service life. Can’t see that replacing a spherical bearing with a poly bush is going to be a good choice.

2 Likes

On the face of it you’re right, although without taking detailed measurements of how the hub moves (if at all) through the whole of the suspension travel (full droop to full compression) it’s all a bit subjective.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, there must be a reason Mazda used a spherical bearing in that location on the hub and not a rubber bush. The problem is that the bearing is obviously not man enough to deal with the loads fed through it long term.
The upgraded spherical bearing sounds interesting, and imho, without detailed measurements, would be a safer option.

Hi everyone this is Andy Leslie,
Yes we have redesigned and manufacture some replacement spherical bushes / bearings with an installation removal tool.
The replacement bushes allow for a full range of suspension travel and rotation.
We found the std mazda item fails due to the seals letting in water and foreign matter.
We have also address the sloppy bolt hole size in these bushes.
Feel free to ask for more details.
I might be at Sundays Rally and will have a sample with me if the weather holds out.
You can always pm me on facebook.
Regards Andy Leslie

4 Likes