ND - SkyActiv badge delete (picture heavy)

Today, I replaced the SkyActive badge at the rear with a genuine Mazda Roadster chrome badge.

I measured the MX-5 badge edges and it is +/- 15mm from the edge of the panel, but the SkyActive badge is 15mm one end and 13mm the other end and you can plainly see the “slant”.

I got my panel poppers out and sharpened the ends on my bench grinder to make them a little sharper in order to get under the badge a little easier.

I worked my way around the whole badge stretching the adhesive and using two tools to force the adhesive away and then the clips snapped and the badge came away.\

I used the “pick-roll-flick” method for getting most of the old adhesive off then broke out the hard-stuff

Now came the hard part. As I mentioned, the SkyActive badge was on the slant and followed the line of the panel, the MX-% badge didn’t.

When I aligned the Roadster badge straight, it looked odd due to the larger size. Aligned with the original badge position it looked crooked.

I compromised and stuck it on with a slight 1mm slant to almost follow the panel line of the original and almost be straight horizontally.

5 Likes

Lovely job Jeff.
More individualistic than the Corporate engine advert in my personal view.
Skills!

Thanks, it matches my seat-belt warning cover as well . . . sorry about the dust!

1 Like

Where did you get that seat belt warning cover? Could use one of those myself! TIA.

It was made by a chap on miata.net in the U.S.

His website is Miata Car Badges

Mine cost USD40 shipped but that was 15 months ago.

1 Like