ND Soft Top Drain Filter Covers Removal Tip

The worst part of cleaning the ND roof drain filters is removing the drain filter covers from inside the car using the method shown in the manual. It is particularly hard to press down on the release tab whilst pulling the filter cover free, especially because you have to do it using one hand. I think that I have discovered a much easier technique.

The first stage is to put the roof down. You can then just about see the filter cover under the hood cross brace (see first photo showing the passenger side). It is now possible to access and release the release tab on the filter cover (arrow 1) and at the same time use a small screwdriver at the joint between the filter cover and its housing (arrow 2) to dislodge it from its housing. You cannot totally remove the filter cover at this point but all you need to do is put the roof back up (2nd stage) and remove the dislodged filter cover by hand in the normal manner. In the second photo with the roof back down you can clearly see the foam filter and assess whether the filter needs to be removed and cleaned in soapy water before replacing. When you have cleaned the items replace the filter and cover with the hood up as per the manual. The filter cover just snaps into place so operation of the tab is not the same issue.

2 Likes

The easiest way I find is to remove the plastic panel behind the seats. Still tight fitting hands in though.

Yes, I have done it this way too, but not everybody wants to start removing body trim. I found the way I have described much easier than the prescribed method but without removing body trim.
Cheers.

I will give it a go next time I do the annual clean.