Nearly new Member with 2 questions

Contact les/debs Kent branch.we were at brands hatch 24/6/22 watching mx5 racing again 33cars turned up.great day.

Who knows how long an engine can last for?
My Mini decided to have the timing chain go at 193k miles despite a full dealership service history as required.
The same car was still on it’s first clutch as a learner car, with many many drivers all trying to kill it, and me trying to get them to drive it with care.
My advice (humble advice) is to always have services done as required, the rest is down to bad luck, despite always looking after my cars

1 Like

I agree, for new cars. It’s usually the bad luck that kills mine.

Then at least you know the full history, and the usage is under your control, and there is some limited warranty following a service/repair, even when way past the “new car warranty”. And you can still breathe on it as required for those essential comfort upgrades.

My 13(14) year old Astra had its first and final breakdown at 205,000 driven by me from ‘declared as new’ at 375 miles; bits dropped out of the dealer installed second clutch (the first changed only for noisy thrust bearing after 120,000). Rust-free write off, uneconomic to repair with other new consumables needed, brakes and tyres.

Also always dealer serviced. For its first and final breakdown at 115,000 my 20 year old Vextra lost the cam-belt tensioner spring about three years and 15,000 after a cam-belt change. Rust free write off, uneconomic repair; the wheels and cat were worth more than the car with its flaking lacquer coat!