Netflix on Sky...How?

My present Sky contract runs out soon and I have noticed a cheaper package that includes Netflix.
Being somewhat of a technophobe, can anyone tell me if I need a Smart TV to be able to receive it and also can I receive it via my present Sky HD box and not The Q Box.
Presume also that my box would need to be connected via the internet to receive Netflix.
Not interested in receiving Netflix other than via the Sky package.

You need a Roku stick or Amazon fire stick to receive Netflix, around £30-£40. One or the other will need a USB or HDMI connection.
Search around on the web for more info on how it all works.
As regards buying the package from Sky I’m not sure how that will work for your set up to use, you definitely need Sky Q.

1 Like

You need the Q box and an internet connection. It comes up on the Planner similar to a normal selection. See the sky website.

2 Likes

Cut and pasted from the Sky Community help pages
“No Sky+ box has the ability to host apps as their hardware specification and operating system are not capable of doing so: they will never get Netflix and the other app-based services which Q can host. This is one reason why Sky+ is no longer available to new subscribers.”

If you got a smart TV you would probably (99%) have Netflix inbuilt on the TV. The TV would need to access the Internet either by cable or WiFi.

As mentioned above, there are other plug in devices that will give you access to Netflix and other online services. My favourite is Amazon’s Fire Stick 4k. Plugs onto an HDMI port on the TV.

2 Likes

I have had the Netflix offer from sky for 10 months now, its all done through the existing Q box, however i also have a smart TV and it allows you to use your login on that as well (and any other devices such as laptops) but not at the same time. So technically you could just get the login and use it on say a laptop connected to to your tv. However I would be surprised if sky did not give you a Q box as pat of the new contract

1 Like

As above really, I was about to say, speak to Sky they will most likely offer you an upgrade to keep you sweet.
I’ve just done the same with Virgin Media, no nonsense told them I want a better deal and they came up with a decent deal for the next 18 months.

1 Like

Just keep pushing for the best deal and mention switching to BT or Virgin! I’ve never paid for any installation or boxes and always get a good discount on the subscription. If you’ve been a customer a long time play on that too.

If you haven’t looked at it before checkout your SKY VIP app too as there are always lots of offers on that.

As a guide, I just upgraded my parents kit and they are paying £65 month including unlimited superfast broadband and the standard entertainment and sports packages. They were paying rip-off BT £48 / month just for broadband which was also limited! They also have multi-room with 2 extra boxes.

SKY want your continuing subscription more than anything else.

4 Likes