New Member From County Durham - Importing an NC1

Hi all,

Thank you for allowing me to join first of all.

I’ve just purchased this NC1 from Singapore for my wife - she has dreamed about owning a red MX-5 for years now, so I’m making those dreams come true.

Looking forwards to learning more about these cars from you all over the coming years.

forum pic

3 Likes

Welcome from down in Kent.

Anthony

2 Likes

Hello and welcome from Nottinghamshire…
Rob

1 Like

Welcome, the colour is obviously my favourite.:+1:
Must ask though, why import one there are plenty of those in the UK?
The VED will be high.

2 Likes

Hi Mick,

No problem asking - I’ve imported my last 4 cars from the far east now. For all 4 (including this one), they have been cheaper than buying the equivalent in the UK (incl the shipping, import duties and road tax rates) and most importantly, they have been rust free. They have also been lower mileage and generally speaking, better maintained than the equivalent UK cars due to the stricter MOT-equivalent tests in these countries.

I honestly doubt I’ll buy a ‘first registered in the UK’ car ever again.

3 Likes

Welcome from another 1972 baby.
This sounds like a good way to buy if you also get a holiday out of it! Do you actually buy those cars as unseen, or seen on video/photos only?

1 Like

Hi Christophe1,

The 3 cars I’ve bought previously have been sourced from Japan, so I’ve been able to rely on auction sheets, carvx reports and detailed photographs.

This is my first purchase from Singapore, so I’m relying on photographs and a vehicle condition report. At the price I’ve paid for a low mileage, red automatic NC1 (it’s for the wife and that is what she wants), I’m happy that it is worth the slightly increased risk. I’ve been assured that there is no rust present and the photos of the car look to show it in excellent condition.

Time will tell, as always, but you could just as easily end up with a lemon here in the UK. The car is 15 years old after all. We are happy to fix anything that needs fixing. This will be a labour of love.

2 Likes

I have always relied on a test drive, but of course you are right: buying here is never risk free.

1 Like

Yes, I was always the same (test drive) until I’d imported my first car. You can reduce the risks as far as possible by doing the right research and asking the right questions, but its’ no test drive. Having done it a few times now I’m happy with my levels of diligence and the resulting cars that have been shipped across the world to me :slight_smile:

Finger crossed for another successful result :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Hi David and welcome from East Yorkshire.
If you are who I think you are, that MX-5 will provide a lovely contrast parked alongside your shiny white 'van :grin:

1 Like

Well worked out sir…not lost your investigative skills I see :slight_smile: I knew you’d be on here somewhere.

Yes, should sit well alongside the bus and the legacy

1 Like

hi, welcome from Darlington (Mx5 Mk2 NB 1.8 )

1 Like

Hi Steve, I’m just up the A68 from you :slight_smile:

Welcome from another in Kent - great colour choice

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

That’s interesting purchasing from Singapore. Previously, outside of Japan, the only grey imports from APAC have been essentially personal imports; returning Expats. So are imports from Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Australia/New Zealand economically viable (markets which are RHD and significant MX5 sales. I saw a NA near the office n Hyderabad, but it looked dodgy)? I was always under the impression that cars in Singapore were phenominally expensive, but maybe thats the cot of car ownership, rather than the cost of the car itself.

Just checking going ratesfor Mk1s:

Hong Kong; £6,000 for HK spec car (same as UK spec, but with some JDM bits)
Thailand; an astonishing $17,000
Singapore: £39,000 without that COE
Malaysia: £8500
Australia: £7500
New Zealand: £7500

UK still seems cheapest for RHD NAs…

Singapore is a strange place. They have hugely inflated car prices when new, but have some sort of tax payback system where it is worth their while de-registering them at 10 years old or just before.

Anyway, for my example, it is absolutely viable. A 2006 NC 2.0 bright red automatic (that I believe were not offered here at that time) that is low mileage, rust free and by all accounts in great condition inside and out. All for well, well under what any UK NC automatic would cost, even after shipping and duties.

I’ll obviously do a better write up with pictures once it is here, including if it has any problems, but at what I’ve paid and the fact it is every bit of my wife’s longed for dream car, its worth the punt :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To cut a long story short - I’ve cancelled the purchase and will be refunded in full. A pre-shipping inspection has highlighted an issue with the ABS.

On to looking for another in Japan now.

2 Likes

No loss there then. Good job.

1 Like