new member wanting to say hello!

Hello everyone! 

My name is Kris, and I thought I would join as I have just bought an 1.6 mx5 mk2 California as my intended “cheap run around”

I sold my 308 gti, and wanted to free up some cash buy buying a little ÂŁ3-400 motor to run about in.

and I did exactly that, but my new motor is this mx5.

I think I may have landed a bargain, as it has a new heated rear glass soft top,

style bars, diamond cut alloys, and a dam fine full Bluetooth sound system that out does my gti’s by far,

and I cant find any rust on the outside, or round the sills.

I noticed that in the windscreen is a mx-5 owners club sticker, so I figured maybe someone on here will recognise the car.

especially due to some of the aesthetic modifications somebody has done.

I have added a picture.

my mx5 california mk2

I have to say, I can see why these are so well liked! it drives and handles better than my 2011 308 gti, just with half the horse power!

regardless of the purchase price I did not “immediately” have to spend any money on the car, which I’m pretty impressed with.

although I did spend a day diy repairing a few bits and cleaning it.

But I have bought a new Kevlar clutch, gasket and seal kit for the box and rear crank,

as the current clutch is slipping if I drive with any sort of enthusiasm.

and I figured, make sure I don’t have to take the box off again for any reason further down the line.

This is my first rear wheel car, so changing the clutch will be a new experience for me.

And I am entertaining the mini supercharger idea that seems so popular, hence Kevlar clutch just in case.

I will say, for the type of car it is, the horsepower is way too low! 

anyway, that’s my story, and again hello everyone.

PS: I don’t use forums too often, so if anything is up with the post, let me know and I’ll put it straight.

Thanks.

Hi Kris, I’m liking the yellow and black.  Welcome to the club.

hi.the car looks fast even if it isn’t.great fun.enjoy.

Nice wee bargain Kris!

Looks like an angry bee!  

I’d have those plastic side skirts off Kris, and expose the potentially true nature of it’s solidity as a precaution before you horse well earned wonga into it.

Ha Ha, Thanks guys!

Scottishfiver, You bring up a good point, I’ll have a good look round!

Angry bee!  

I cant make my mind up on the colours to be honest. I’ll give it some time to grow on me.

I really do think they should have made these with more poke than they have.

obviously so much effort has gone into the handling and ride comfort,

I mean its 17 years old and can be driven over a speedbump with not even the slightest knock bang or bump! I am impressed by that!

the solidarity has me silenced!

but at least 150bhp should have been the starting point for these. I really do think.

oh and my new clutch kit arrived today, so I’ll have to look into making a start on that.

Anyway guys thanks for the positive comments.

Hello and welcome to the club and forum

Bienvenue

2017 : https://youtu.be/nqY8boaMdRs

2018 : https://sites.google.com/site/mx5mondrian/home/2018

see you in Normandy next year

edit : 

an 'unconventional' color,  I like 
```

Hello again, This is Kris_C I couldn’t log back into the account that I made this post with, so here I am nearly four years later on a fresh new account. I still have the car, and it has gone through a few changes since I bought it in 2017. Unfortunately the picture I posted back then of it doesn’t seem to be showing any more. I will see if I can dig one out of it. I will post some pictures up of it over the next few days.
Anyway Hello all, again. :wave:

As I wasn’t an owner or a member of the MX-5OC back when you joined, I’ll say hello and welcome from Nottinghamshire now!
Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for the hello! I should have kept visiting the site to be fair.

Well I found a picture of the car when I first bought it. At ÂŁ350 cash, it was a bargain!

I will admit, I haven’t changed much on the exterior other than the wheels and roof, but this is as it is now.

I liked how the car handled but I felt it needed a bit more power, so I bought a cheap turbo kit and started my learning curve. Dont Push too much power through an mx5 without opening the engine and fitting some better rods. this was the second engine I had rod failure on.

Whilst building an appropriate engine, I purchased this beautiful mk2.5 s-vt with the intention of stripping all the mk2.5 parts out and swapping them for my mk2 parts. 6 speed gearbox, 3.9 torsen diff
most of the interior etc.

This was me building the new strengthened engine for the California (not ideal in the kitchen I know)

and here is the complete engine ready to go in the car.

Whilst building the engine I did a lot of work to the California, and sold the mk2.5 s-vt with all the parts removed from the California installed I think it ended up being the only mk 2.5 in the country with windy windows :slight_smile: the guy who bought was happy with it though as I fitted the lighter flywheel and clutch from the California, which gave it the “pep” of a 1.6 I literally rebuilt the California. (I got a bit carried away with paint)

And here is the now nearly finished project, running all be it on the old tune.
I need to finish running in the engine, fit the oil cooler and get it retuned.

It certainly has been a learning curve for me, as before this I had only ever changed a few engines or done the odd cambelt, I had help with the original turbo conversion from a lovely lad called Jo whom I first bought the original long gone turbo kit from, other than that I have figured out most of it myself, and fingers crossed I have got it all sorted now. I never built an engine before, and I dont intend to again to be fair :rofl: This thing puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! So in my eyes it was worth it!

1 Like

If anyone wants to see more pictures of other bits I did or ask how I did anything or suggest how something could be done a better way Please feel free to let me know, I’m still learning. and advice is very welcome. ( in the picture of the complete engine before it went in the car, the water pump pulley is the wrong way round! :rofl: see! Stilll learning)