New MK1 owner, 1st MX5

Thats a lot of work so far !

I ‘think’ mine is pretty much ok underneath and has also had a recent respray, although there are a couple of areas i need to see to, one being the hard top which is starting to bubble slightly at the bottom…

My seats also need restoring. I will pop over to instragram to have a look :+1:

I am working on that ! But I did manage to drive it for 2 hours when I picked it up with no pain !

OK Pete. I’ve seen the 1st 2 posts when you got your Berkeley on Instagram. That was VERY rusty underneath! Did it have an MOT?

I’ve finished work now for Christmas :christmas_tree: so get chance tomorrow to have a play

So much I want to do, especially that ride height…

Hard top starting to bubble slightly at bottom. Much prefer driving it without it though.

Looks lovely. As a fellow 6’4” Mk1 driver I’ve got a few tips for making a bit more space. Firstly if you put an eccentric spacer behind the steering wheel you’ll lift it up a bit in general use. A smaller wheel obviously helps too. You mention getting the seats retrimmed. If you do, you could get some of the foam from the squab removed to sit a couple of centimetres lower too.

1 Like

The factory Momo wheel is not attached to the boss like other Momo wheels. It uses 4 extremely tight bolts:

In comparison, an aftermarket Momo

Essentric spacers are drilled for aftermarket Momo.

1 Like

Thanks Saz,

I can get this wheel and the simoni racing boss kit for £125.

I would prefer a momo wheel (wood deep dish ideally) but this would do for now.

Would this be ok?

Thank you Bol !

I certainly will be fine the seat. Do they call it a foamectomy?

I’m sure that wil be fine.

In my S-Special, I have a leather Nardi Classico, and in the S-Limited I had, a wooden Nardi. Wood engenders a different way to grip and feed a wheel. I prefer leather.

https://i.imgur.com/wzy7hIHh.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WOuwn5o.jpg

1 Like

Both look great :+1:

I notice that you remove the centre console. It looks good, is that the only reason, the looks?

I prefer the elbow room. The tombstone needs modification; cutting and building back up. A spare carpet is needed as donor for the transmission tunnel. I had a Zoom shift ring kicking about. MX5parts shift gaiter to finish. The teardrop shifter is unknown, think its Japanese, but I like the delicate shape.

The seats are a factory option, whih came with extra deep bolsters.

Previously I had a M2-1002, whch came from the factory like that.

1 Like