New "Noise" Camera Trials

Glad I bought the BBR GT rear silencer and not the sports exhaust!

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-trial-to-banish-loud-engines-and-exhausts-on-britains-noisiest-streets

More Big Brother shite that’s aimed at a very small minority and to add to the revenue that speed cameras rake in.

Up here just as likely to be ‘girl racers’ as much as boy’s these days….

Also the picture used may or may not be referencing ‘Viz’…. :joy:

I wouldn’t mind this much if it wasn’t for the fact that many of our roads are so full of potholes that you literally can’t drive on them

the constant noise of cars and trucks going over the potholes is a far bigger nuisance than the occasional loud exhaust!

4 Likes

The bow-wave vibrations from the heaviest HGVs shake our house when they speed over the pothole sequences!

It’ll get worse here with HS2 earth moving HGVs destroying the roads. Bad words said by many for many years.
Many of us locals use the pedestrian crossings at every opportunity to slow them down, but the speed cameras we used to have protecting the hordes of randomised schoolchildren and dithering elderly (speaking personally) are sadly missing.

2 Likes

Not sure we can say Girl or Boy Racers these days.
The way we’re going, it’ll be Gender Neutral Personages wishing to cross a finish line prior to any other of the same persuasion, which cannot be a competition as there would have to be a loser, and we’re all winners…!!

5 Likes

Next will be the thought police cameras!
Think the noise cameras are a joke, doubt they’d be able to fully 100% prove who’s car was noisy in fairly busy traffic, only if there was no other car on the road, and what if the noise was coming from elsewhere?

They installed a speed camera in the village along the road from me in and it’s still not operational, looking like June before it will be New Cardross speed camera may not be switched on until June says police chief - Daily Record

The thing with it is that it faces along a straight where the golf course is and one or two biggish houses had it faced the other way it would have covered local shops, local garage, shool access and multiple junctions on to the main road - proof as any that they are a waste of money and all about generating cash for local councils and nothing to do with safety!

That’s why it is a trial.

Still fairly early stage development, even though its delivering largely COTS technologies, repurposed/ As the video points out, its one thing to be able to detect sound from an identifiable vehicle, its another to meet the threshold of evidence.

Many years ago, I was part of the team working with the Home Office to develop drug-driving devices. The technology to detect drugs in a roadside saliva test is fairly well established, but not so well established in a judicial setting. But they got there, at least with the Class As. Legal Highs I think are more problematic.

Interesting that the Motorcycle lobby and RAC are suportive of this study. I’d image the first time its deployed will be in the shape of mobile camera systems, deployed to settings where there is a high expectation of law breaking and anti-social behaviour, eg car cruises. The police can already ticket drivers with excessively loud exhaust systems (just like, technically, they can charge you with speeding without actual speed measurement, An officer just has to be of the opinion the driver is exceeding the speed limit. Measurements corroborate their opinion).

Its a running joke about the number of motorbikes flouting noise regulations.

Noise cameras have already been deployed in Knightbridge, though I suspect to enforce by-laws.

1 Like

I am no fan of excessive surveillance or control . But I absolutely get why the noise devices are being considered . Why does a citizen’s right to a reasonably peaceful night’s sleep take second place to the ‘right’ of some Gulf brat giving his Huracan 8000rpm in a built up area at 2am ? I live on the edge of a 30 limit and the noise level from some superbikes is borderline painful , even to my failing ears - what ‘right’ does the rider have to be audible 3 miles away with his race cans ?

The fact that my hearing is hopeless attests to 50 years spent at race circuits , rally stages and drag strips - and that is where his excessive ICE engine noise belongs

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.