New speed limits

Agree, some Councils are good at thinking up expensive ,unnecessary hair brained schemes.
I’ve lived at my place for 20 years , and not far from me is a stretch of road with white lines down the middle, this is my side of the road, and that’s yours, simple, we’re not all stupid, and there has never been an accident or any problems there, a year or 2 back ,on the very slight bend in the road ,the council burnt off the white lines in the middle of a stretch of the road and painted on a huge area of chevrons, pushing the cars as far apart and as close the the kirb as possible, why? , the area of road left to drive on is so narrow some of the chevrons have been worn away by the tyres of cars and lorries! that money could have been spent elsewhere.

2 Likes

Everybody has something to hide.
If you think otherwise, please post your credit card details and Pin here.

I do believe that you have totally misunderstood those posts. They are referring to the possibility of the use/misuse of personal information by a repressive government!

I am well aware of the misuse of personal information, and was simply using what I hoped might be a humorous way of reminding people that we all have personal information of many kinds that can and will be used by those with access to it who are less than honourable to the detriment of us all. Too many of us go along with data gathering by government and private interests genuinely believing they have “nothing to hide”. It is that belief that allows the misuse to flourish.

3 Likes

I won’t argue with that! It’s my point exactly, with an emphasis on “complacency”! “Humorous” (S/A) reminders were totally unnecessary, thanks.

Our local council have started shutting off lanes with cone and barriers, to widen footpaths and cycle lanes, but only for social distancing purposes.

With government, both national and local, and businesses (not just at home but worldwide) all spending money they haven’t actually got, with reduced revenues and revenue bases, I can see big, BIG trouble in the near future making the two “Great Depressions” of past decades look like short-time, overnight overdrafts!!!

Quick! Buy more guns, ammo, tins of beans and toilet rolls and then “Head for the hills!!!”.
Whoops! Sorry! This isn’t the USA is it! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Or is it, Guinness , beans, Bags of Kebab meat, Pitta bread and Bog rolls, in that order, :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Well, that is sooooo much more British!!

Perhaps keep it on topic, which is a good one. If anyone wants to read up on the spec for these new cycle lanes that are appearing have a look at this.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/904088/cycle-infrastructure-design-ltn-1-20.pdf

The irony is those near me with the cones in no way comply with this, and I have a suspicion they Council have halted works as a result, as this doc is quite new.

3 Likes

Yes Martin, read the government paper on cycling.
Just need all councils to be on the same page, by having all their lanes, markings and signage standardised. Having travelled around the country as a delivery driver, sometimes it can even be confusing for a professional driver. Lanes should be painted and clearly marked not just a white line. People feel safer cycling on this type of lane and drivers have less tendency to wander into them and with a reduced speed limit (which was my original post ) I think more people would use bikes as every day transport.

1 Like

Certainly the 60mph on country lanes needs to be reduced. While the majority of drivers with a good level of common sense would know it would be foolhardy to drive at that speed on country lanes. Sadly we have minority who think if the limits 60mph then that’s what I’m going to do. Seen too many walkers and cyclists nearly run down by these drivers. Generally, the Brits do seem to have a problem with any speed limit, 70mph on the motorway your’e being overtaken by everything. And the 20mph limits are rarely observed. Finally, is it time to fit speed limiters to vans?

1 Like

Ooooh, I agree with this one. The number of times I have been overtaken on a motorway by ‘white-van-man’ is incredible. They shouldn’t be made to go that fast in the first place !

How about limiting all commercial vehicles to 50 mph ?

As far as 20 mph speed limits are concerned, we have one in our village. However whilst few vehicles do take notice, it is difficult to go too fast as there are obstructions and people. However the local bus always manages to get through faster than any other vehicle…It is not just one driver wither, as several do it…

1 Like

I remember many years ago driving through France that on their N and D roads it was quite common for the beautifully kept tarmac road to become “Pave” (cobblestones) when going through rural villages. On one occasion we were overtaken by a VW Golf going “FAST” and when he hit the “Pave” the car disappeared in a cloud of dust and as we pottered by the family were sitting in the now stationary vehicle clearly shaken, not stirred!!! On another occasion a 2CV (with local numberplate) came round a slight curve in a village with “Pave” a little too enthusiastically and tipped over on it’s side. The driver exited through the roof and with the help of a couple of locals stood it back up again and with a nod to his helpers got in and drove off as if this were a common event! Don’t you just love the French attitude!!!

4 Likes

That’s comical Roger, I can just imagine it, with a shrug of the shoulder and then on his way :smile:
Barrie

3 Likes

Hope he picked up all his onions :onion:

2 Likes

Let’s really fire this up and get on to middle lane driving! :rofl:

Do you think we should go there ? it will only get us all wound up , not so good for the blood pressure as we get older you know LOL.

1 Like

Do you remember the old three-lane A roads (one each way, and head-on suicide shared down the middle)? And no speed limit enforced? And much less traffic?

My bike had the big white full Avon fairing, just like the Police used, and it had 609AFC stuck on exactly where it would normally say POLICE. It was amazing how traffic in either direction would leave the middle lane and let me though, and I always gave a polite thank-you wave to whoever let me through.

Happy memories, and flies in the teeth…

2 Likes