New to the group and my 1st MX5!

Hi new to the group and only purchased my nb mx5 4 months ago. Since owning the car I’ve been of work and in isolation so I’ve been very busy.

This car is in nice condition a bit of lacquer peal and very little rust. The car also came with a hard top and 9 months M.O.T. Seemed like a no brainier at £1400. So I drove it home.

I’ve had 10+ cars over the first 8 years of driving from a 1.25 fiesta to a Subaru wrx Sti. I can honestly say I have never seen the appeal of convertibles. My dad has owned MG’s on and off for years and they are awful! :joy: but my little mx5 may be my favourite car I’ve owned.

This is the car 4 months after buying it. It’s kept me very busy during lockdown. Over the last 4 months I have replaced all of the bushes to power flex bushes including diff bushes (the most noticeable driving change in my opinion). The rear diff oil has be changed along with the seals. The rear suspension was taken apart and sand blasted and sprayed black. 25mm lowering springs have been fitted and the arches cleaned of any muck and leafs.

At the front everything is new lower and upper control arms, ball joints and tie rod ends. I also purchased H&R anit roll bars for the front and back which had transformed the car also. All discs and pads have been replaced and the brake callipers have been painted red for 5 extra bhp’s :joy:. After an alignment I moved onto wheels and tyres opting for Rota TFS3’s with Toyo Tr1 tyres. Interior is clean and standard apart from installing a USB charger instead of the outdated cigarette lighter. I have also replacing the number plates and removed the horrible front number plate shroud. After a time consuming turtle wax colour match polish its come up a treat and looks fantastic.The car handles amazing and it’s fair to say I’m hooked. Can’t wait to go to a few meets when this lockdown is over.

Thanks for reading :ok_hand:

7 Likes

Now all that now left is to join the club and become a full members thus enjoy all the benefits…have fun in your 5

Hi I’m also very new to the group. I purchased my very first MX-5 NC last Friday.
Do you by any chance have a photo of the front of your beautiful car, I’m interested in what it looks like without that number plate shroud?? I’m looking for ideas as I’m thinking of removing mine also

Regards

Hi Captin yes I have loads of pictures but as a new user I can’t only post one at a time.

Thank you so much, that looks really great. I really don’t like the plastic surround, so may just remove it.

Regards

Captin

Captin You won’t like the 4 holes behind it either

Hi Jacob thanks again. Did you have to fill the holes, or does the number plate cover them?

The holes get covered by the new number plate so can’t really see them. Depends what type of finish you require. My paint work isn’t 100% so doesn’t really bother me. The only thing you can see is my old shroud was loose for went I bought the car and had scratched the front bumper around the edges but a bit of elbow grease soon sorted that.

Welcome to the club and the MX5 looks great.

Anybody know where I can get a stick on front number plate for my Mk1 as I do not like the large surround either and as the whole bumper needs paining (its red, so faded over time and a polish lasts about a week or until next washed), I want a stick on one for when it is done.

Just heat up the standard plate very slightly and screw it on. It will curve to the front bumper. That’s what I did anyway.

Thanks for the idea - have you got a picture?

Hi there, it sounds as like you’ve been as busy as me whilst in lockdown. I have only driven mine 3 times before I started work on it. I have been posting about the progress of mine on the forum. I bet you’ve spent more than it’s worth, just like me :grin:. Anyway, nice to see you’ve been using your furlough time productively.

@Snelly I haven’t got any pictures of me doing it but you can see from the last image that it matches the curve. :+1:

@Pete_66 yes I only drove mine for about a week before starting the mods. My last car was a wrx Sti a very stiff setup so the mx5 felt abit soft but I soon changed that. :joy: Yh I would say with tyres and wheels I’ve spent £1400 on it in 4 months.

Yes thanks I can see that it is curved. I might give it a go…

Jacob, do you ha e photo of your new wheels please. Mine is in need of some. That offset did you go for and where did you get them?
Wish I’d only spent that much!!
If you search on MK1 Berkeley. Is it worth saving., you will see what ove done.

I got my wheels from drift works they are rota tfs3’s 16x7” et38. Drift works have plenty of 4x100 options. :ok_hand: